Steady Rest

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
What size of a steady rest are you looking for, Tonika? The best are steel bars but I have seen other materials used besides the cast iron ones commonly sold.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
What size of a steady rest are you looking for, Tonika? The best are steel bars but I have seen other materials used besides the cast iron ones commonly sold.
I don't know the size to look for right now but I wanted to get plans to be able to tweak them to my needs.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
T-what lathe do you have and what size is it?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tonika, I am not trying to talk you out of making a tool rest but, have you looked at the modular tool rest system? You buy the post in the diameter and length that fits your lathe and you can buy separate tool rests as you go along. Straight (different lengths), curved and S-curves.

Check this out and do some research: modular tool rest system - Google Search

I use the modular tool rest system and I won't use anything else now.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
OP, for spindles, platters, hollow forms or a combination?

I built one for a 26" diameter form with a platter option. Lots of plans available.

The Carter looks to me to be the most versatile if you want a commercially available unit. Note, I've never used one.

PM me for more info. IIRC, I posted a thread a year or so ago.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I believe Tonika wants a steady rest,
not a tool rest. Google "lathe steady rest plans" and you will find several doable rests. Look for some old skate boards for the wheels.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want a good steady rest, get into a quiet, darkened room. Put on some white noise if you like that sort of thing, and turn off all your electronic appliances and phone. Hang a "Do not disturb" sign on the door, and it should start soon thereafter.
Oh, you're talking about a lathe steady rest. Sorry, can't help you there but the aforementioned may inspire you to an idea about how to achieve your goal.
:p

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Tonika, I am not trying to talk you out of making a tool rest but, have you looked at the modular tool rest system? You buy the post in the diameter and length that fits your lathe and you can buy separate tool rests as you go along. Straight (different lengths), curved and S-curves.

Check this out and do some research: modular tool rest system - Google Search

I use the modular tool rest system and I won't use anything else now.
Raymond, I am looking to make a steady rest not a tool rest. I don't know a thing about the metal work that I am sure would have to go in to making a tool rest. A steady rest is for keeping a longer piece steady on the lathe while it is turning as longer pieces have a tendency to slip out of true from lack of balance. I am trying to hollow out a longer piece on the lathe and it keeps coming out of true so I figured I would ask to see if anyone had plans for a steady rest to make one as they can be made from wood and skate wheels.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Frank Howarth on Youtube made one or two using wood and skate board wheels. I think he found that it works best if the opening is sized for the piece being turned, i.e. don't make a large hole in the center if you are going to turn small spindles.

Roy G

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Tonika, You have seen my steady rest which is for a 20" lathe. Made from 1" MDF but I would have used 2 layers of 3/4" ply or MDF if I hadn't had the 1" MDF. Looking at attached photos you should be able to scale it to fit your 16". Let me know if I can help out. You may need to take another trip to my shop. Lol.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Tonika, You have seen my steady rest which is for a 20" lathe. Made from 1" MDF but I would have used 2 layers of 3/4" ply or MDF if I hadn't had the 1" MDF. Looking at attached photos you should be able to scale it to fit your 16". Let me know if I can help out. You may need to take another trip to my shop. Lol.

View attachment 187403View attachment 187402
Thanks Charlie, I may take you up on that offer if i can't figure out the plan that Dee2 sent to me

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have that steady rest from Klingspor's. It's sized for midi lathes and I think it would be much too small for a 16" swing like Tonika has.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors