Staved cup

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had an idea (good or bad, TBD). Instead of segmented rings, I made basically 1 ring starting at 8" tall. Both of the edges were cut with 11.2 (as close as the Wixey would show). I then put as much twist into the pattern as I could and still maintain full contact. Walnut, maple, and mahogany. Final size is 6" tall.

Without a steady rest, I turned a large cone to fit inside the end away from the chuck. I got one end trued and flipped it around, repeating the process. No in-progress photos. Once I had the form turned, I used calipers to get the inside dimension to fit a base. I used another piece of maple that was about 4" square, 1" thick and turned a tenon to fit to the inside of the cup. Glued it in, let it dry, then a final turning to reduce the exposed base thickness.

As mentioned with no steady rest, smoothing the inside was a challenge, and finally reverted to using the oscillating sander, which was actually done prior to gluing the base in. I applied a couple of coats of tung oil.

20191226_130300.jpg

20191226_130310.jpg

20191226_130343.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors