stave core doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I have been working on a door project for a friend and client in Asheville for the last few months. This spring has been unusually busy for me (which is great - but tough) so this project has dragged out longer than I wanted. The good news is that I am finally in the 'short rows' and set to deliver them soon. There are nine total doors: a front door, two French doors, two enormous pairs of carriage doors, and a pair of shop doors. I designed them with feedback from the Jackson Family for a new craftsman style home they are building as we speak. Despite my challenges and time struggles, this project has been delightful from the outset, and I couldn't be happier about the new friends I have made. I wish this family would publish a book on 'How to Hire and Communicate with Artists & Custom Builders' because I simply cannot say enough good things about them. Thank you Tim.

So now that I am finally applying finish to these doors and getting ready for the delivery I thought I would share the process with NCWW. These doors are called stave core, which is essentially a process of milling out a bunch of solid lumber, ripping it down, gluing it back together, veneering it, milling it back down again, and then assembling parts. The reason for building doors this way is to help the components resist temperature and humidity extremes. For example, front entry doors in the mountains might see 5% humidity and 20 degrees outside and 40% relative humidity and 75 degrees inside. Wood does not like that funny business at all - so it wants to move. A stave core door is better equipped to resist those opposing forces because most of the torsional forces have been released from the material. Building these types of doors is labor intensive - but barring disaster, these doors will outlive everyone alive today and that's my goal.

The front and French doors are premium FAS quartersawn white oak including the stave cores. The carriage and shop doors are Mahogany exterior and Spanish Cedar (AKA Cedro Dulce) stave cores and inside faces. All white oak is fumed with ammonium hydroxide and then all of the doors are finished with 3 coats of hand applied Sikkens Cetol Door & Window Dark Brown Oak. The natural red hues in the Mahogany and Spanish Cedar create a beautiful reddish brown color while the oak finishes out to a rich warm brown. I'll post photos of the finished doors later this week. Here are some process shots.

thanks for reading, I'll post some more photos later.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180412_162303.jpg
    20180412_162303.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180328_172432.jpg
    20180328_172432.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 20180404_082333_002_01.jpg
    20180404_082333_002_01.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20180329_135943.jpg
    IMG_20180329_135943.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 172

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing this Stuart. I look forward to seeing the finished doors, especially installed. Will there be as much attention to detail in the rest of the house? If so, I'd love to see pictures of the finished house, especially the woodwork.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Thanks for sharing this Stuart. I look forward to seeing the finished doors, especially installed. Will there be as much attention to detail in the rest of the house? If so, I'd love to see pictures of the finished house, especially the woodwork.

will do. i'm not certain about the finished details but I expect they will be beautiful.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
An interesting project for sure and those doors are going to be heavy brutes to hang. Is the last picture the stave core with 4 pieces (about 1.5" x 1.5" each) sandwiched between face pieces of QS white oak before gluing up? And pic #1 is a partly assembled door from pic #4?

How do you design these doors from scratch using the door openings on the architectural plans? Curious, SketchUp or a CAD program?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
An interesting project for sure and those doors are going to be heavy brutes to hang. Is the last picture the stave core with 4 pieces (about 1.5" x 1.5" each) sandwiched between face pieces of QS white oak before gluing up? And pic #1 is a partly assembled door from pic #4?

How do you design these doors from scratch using the door openings on the architectural plans? Curious, SketchUp or a CAD program?

I used SketchUp for the client end, Autodesk Fusion on my end.

These doors are indeed heavy brutes! I am hanging them with five bronze bearing steel hinges each. The Front, French, and Shop Doors are all 2 1/4" thick, and the carriage doors are 3" thick.

#4 is a shot of the carriage doors laid up prior to gluing the stiles. #1 is the oak front door.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do I remember correctly that the two carriage doors are around 6 feet wide by 10 feet tall each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS