Starting to resemble a chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Finally have about 4 coats of waterlox original on it and dry fit it this evening. I sanded the first two coats 320grit but then read the instructions to not sand. It built up nicely after I stopped sanding..
am sure I will need another light coat or two after final assembly as I have already dinged it up in a few spots with the dry fit.

A few of the things I have made in the past have managed to expand, warp, twist and otherwise self destruct. I imagined this chunk of walnut seat expanding and doing bad things, so I left a lot of room around the legs. The original plan had the seat inset made of plywood with a leather wrapped foam cushion. I still like this seat better but looking for ways to hide the gaps around the legs. Shot a couple close ups. I will try a bit of molding in a few different shapes to see if that will clean it up but if anyone has solved this before let me know how you did it.

Truth is, I am probably the only one who will notice it... other than all you folks!
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 175

bash

New User
bash
Very nice work and that finish looks great. I would leave the gaps just as they are - nothing to solve. The design looks very clean now, and anyone inspecting that close will know why the gaps are there.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I agree w/ the above comments. That seat is spectacular, and the gaps are not really an issue. But I do have another question: What are the notches in the arm rest for? Are they functional, or just decorative?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
It is a Billiard chair so the notches are for leaning your cue against so it won't roll away. TaDaaaaa!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS