Stanley No. 6 and Miller Falls Block plane

Richo B

New User
Richo
Last weekend I bought a couple planes from an antique shop in Morehead City. First a Stanley No. 6 in very good condition. I ran its blade on the Tormek and now its my number one Fore plane. My other fore, a Craftsman Fore plane, will now become a Scrub plane. The other plane is a Miller Falls Block plane with a "346" stamped on it. The set up on it is very odd and much different than any other plane I've used. I need to find some resources or videos on how to setup and use this plane. Any ideas? The blade has already been sharpened on the Tormek, I just need to make is usable.

Stanley Fore & Miller Falls Block_9.19.20.jpg

Stanley No. 6_9.19.20_01.jpg

Stanley No. 6_9.19.20_02.jpg

Miller Falls block plane_346_9.19.20_02.jpg

Miller Falls block plane_Apart_9.19.20.jpg

Miller Falls block plane_346_9.19.20.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just curious. What are your questions regarding setup on the block plane? It looks pretty standard for a block plane. One of the Stanley block planes I have is almost identical to the configuration pictured.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Not trying to take this thread sideways, but which antique store? We have been in Seaport near the water front and do not remember them having anything we were interested in. We are heading down that way on Thursday for 2 weeks of a much needed getaway.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Not trying to take this thread sideways, but which antique store? We have been in Seaport near the water front and do not remember them having anything we were interested in. We are heading down that way on Thursday for 2 weeks of a much needed getaway.
It was Seaport. I've bought good antique tools there before and seen others on other trips and wish I'd bought them. The planes were all together in one booth by the front, near duck decoys and the peg board (but not on the peg board). There were about four planes and I only bought two. There were also some really nice folding rules in the back area that I almost bought but then I saw the No. 6 and forgot about it. You might want to check them out. I like that shop and go about once a year. I've found other things that have interested me over the years there as well.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Just curious. What are your questions regarding setup on the block plane? It looks pretty standard for a block plane. One of the Stanley block planes I have is almost identical to the configuration pictured.
I was thrown by the curved lever and when I turned the knob it didn't seem to actually advance the blade. Maybe there is a deeper issue?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I was thrown by the curved lever and when I turned the knob it didn't seem to actually advance the blade. Maybe there is a deeper issue?

There are a number of block planes that use that type of lateral lever. I t takes a bit of getting used to.
The blade advancement difficulties could be caused by worn teeth on the length adjuster or worn grooves on the underside of the cutting iron.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
+1

There are a number of block planes that use that type of lateral lever. I t takes a bit of getting used to.
The blade advancement difficulties could be caused by worn teeth on the length adjuster or worn grooves on the underside of the cutting iron.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
As @MarkE mentioned the lever adjusts the angle the iron makes with the sole. Move it left or right to adjust. One thing to make sure is to insert the iron so that the small button just above the pivot point of the lever fits inside the slot/opening that runs up the middle of the iron. If the lever is bent down this might not happen and the adjustment won't work.

As also mentioned check for teeth/notches on the underside of the iron. There is a spur that inserts into these to advance or retract the iron as the screw is turned. If the notches aren't there it could be you have the wrong iron for the plane. Check the spur to make sure it isn't worn. The Stanley I have has notches that go through the iron.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS