Stanley #45 versus Stanley #55

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I am in the market for one of these (no, I don't know why).

I would like for someone who has experience with both of these to explain the difference between them and let me know what they prefer.

I know that is pretty open but I don't even know the questions to ask.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I’ve been on the cusp of buying one of them for a while.

Veritas Lee Valley has a modern combination plane that probably is more reliable/practical for an actual user.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I’ve been on the cusp of buying one of them for a while.

Veritas Lee Valley has a modern combination plane that probably is more reliable/practical for an actual user.

Well, shinier at least. I have two 45's that I picked up for $75 or so (each) with complete sets of cutters. The Veritas sells for $400 and comes with one cutter.

Andrew

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
The adjustable skate on the 55 allows for more complex profiles (e.g. hollows and rounds, ogeeds) than the 45 can do. So if these shapes are what you're after, then you need a 55. Otherwise the 45 is good. I owned a 45 and it was marginal-to-OK. My wife got me the Veritas combo plane as an xmas present, and it's far and away the better tool. Pretty pricey, though. I would not have bought it for myself so I'm grateful for such a great wife.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Well, shinier at least. I have two 45's that I picked up for $75 or so (each) with complete sets of cutters. The Veritas sells for $400 and comes with one cutter.

Andrew

If you can find a 45 with complete cutters for $75, then absolutely make do with that... the Veritas is not worth the extra $. I don't think that is the price most people are paying these days though.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
The Veritas isn’t just shinier, it will work extremely well. If it doesn’t, they’ll take it back.

If someone offers me a nicer condition #45 or #55 for $75, I guess we’re skipping dinner and I’d take it home. That’s not likely to happen since it’s never happened to me in the last decade. Feel free to PM me if you have one you want me to take off your hands.:D

For now, I’m still planning to get the Veritas that I know will work and it uses the blades from my Veritas small plow plane. I think the new combination blades are also PM-V11. I like carbon steel blades but love PM-V11 blades!

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bruce, have you been to Ed's shop in Pittsboro? I think he had one or two combination planes when I Was there a while back.

Roy G

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I got my first 45 for $75 at the tool show near Raleigh, Great Western Tool Collectors or something like that. I’m sure someone will correct and post all sorts of links. It is a good tool with three wood boxes of cutters and when I found a better one in trade for a plane I bought years ago I passed the first one to my son. It is in his tool chest now.

Tools are out there, you can’t just go to eBay and find one at a great price in usable condition the first time you look. You have to continually search in a multitude of places. But if you enjoy the hunt and keep at it you end up with lots of great tools and very little investment. Or you can buy new stuff for much more. It’s really up to the individual, some have more time and interest and others have more cash.

I just got two deals that made me happy, I bought a vernier protractor that I have wanted for over 30 years for a reasonable price. Have made do without, used other less accurate tools and got by for too long. Feels good to have the best and paid less than 50 instead of over 300.

The other is not something I need but a great deal, over 500 worth of hones and polishing stones for less tha 100. Most are unused.

I havent used a 55 but I have held one and came close to buying it, I just couldn’t see $500 for it. I have read that they are finicky and difficult to set up and use.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Do you want it for historical value or will you actually use it if you had it with all of the bells and whistles for different profiles?

Regardless, the 21st century Veritas plane is probably better engineered if you're going to use it in the shop regularly (yikes +$400!).

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I see them all regularly out in the wild but they are usually expensive. I've always wanted one but I'm not willing to pay $250+ for one. For that kind of money I'd order the Veritas....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I wanted to sell mine I’m sure I could not get anywhere near $200.

I have a $5000 loom I’ve been trying to sell for a few years and $500 is the best offer I’ve had.
I’m sure someone else would easily get $2000.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

I would like for someone who has experience with both of these to explain the difference between them and let me know what they prefer.

I know that is pretty open but I don't even know the questions to ask.

Bruce
I have owned the 45 and the 55. The 55 is superior in every way. The 45 can do lots of things but the 55 does more. Without more information on what you plan to do with the tool, I'm hesitant to say much more.

If you are a "neanderthal type" these would be nice additions to the collection. If you are a power and hand tool type, I would not buy any of the 3 options mentioned above till I had a chance to work with the tool for a week. Yes a week not an hour.

I could say more but I'll stop there and offer you the chance to borrow a 45. If you want to test drive it, I will have my son dust it off and return it to me.

You're probably wondering??? where is the 55? Sold for 450 in the original box to a guy who has never used it. He still has it and doesn't use it. This is common.

Dan

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
First of all, thanks for all of your great reply's.

If I get one (45 or 55), it will be for occasional use and NOT to put on the wall. I putter about in my carport/turned garage/turned workshop and have fun with what I do. I don't know if it would get much use, but I like the thought of having the capability. I am not a neander, but can't resist picking up a piece of scrap and making shavings once in a while.

I have a vintage 6" Darra James jointer as well as a current Dewalt planer; several power saws as well as handsaws, PC full size and Bosch small size routers, and my main cutting instrument is a Craftsman Radial Arm saw I bought in 1968. The saw I reach for most often is a Dozuki and I keep six planes on the bench.

I just wanted to get opinions, from people I trust, to help solidify my thoughts on the subject.

Now it probably comes down to what I find first but I am definitely leaning toward the #55 since it will do everything the #45 will.

THANKS

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't forget about the Sargent 1080 and 1085. Later models (1949+) of the 1080 were actually manufactured by Stanley.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I see them all regularly out in the wild but they are usually expensive. I've always wanted one but I'm not willing to pay $250+ for one. For that kind of money I'd order the Veritas....

As I said.... they ain't hard to find if you look. These Stanley's are 45's and 46's.... Eight or nine of them. Prices were $75 to $125. Also a very nice Stanley 10 1/2 carriage makers plane among other nice tools. Those were pricey though....

20180616_100936.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
As I said.... they ain't hard to find if you look. These Stanley's are 45's and 46's.... Eight or nine of them. Prices were $75 to $125. Also a very nice Stanley 10 1/2 carriage makers plane among other nice tools. Those were pricey though....

attachment.php

Where was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS