1. Lee Valley Tools
    2. Lie-Nielsen Toolworks
    3. Grizzly Industrial in Muncy, PA
    4. Leigh Tools
    5. Stanley Toolworks
    6. Kreg Tools
    7. ClearVue Cyclones
    8. Packard Woodworks (turning supplies)
    9. Craft Supplies (woodturnerscatalog.com)
    10. Easywood Tools (Ci-x turning tools)
    11. Freud Tools (email to Tome Ferone)
    12. Roy Underhill/Woodwrights School
    13. Bill Anderson/Edwards Mountain Woodworks
    14. Gregory Paolini Design, LLC (Arts & Crafts furniture classes)
    15. Got Wood? (SC based Turning Blanks supplier)
    16. Kyle Edwards/Chris Brittain (Turning Blanks and Lumber)
    17. Mountain Sawyers, LLC (Hardwoods, plywoods and custom moldings)
    18. The Woodworking Source (Lumber - contact by TracyP)
    19. Oneway Tools (Lathe tools - contact by ScottM)
    20. and Klingspor's Woodworking Shop
  2. Thus far, I have received offers for the following (V=value; X=our cost)
    1. Festool Kapex Mitersaw from Klingspor (V=$1300; X=$850 + NC Tax)
    2. Number 60-1/2 Low Angle adjustable mouth block plane from Lie-Nielsen (V=$165; X=$0)
    3. Beaded Face Frame System for Router Table from Kreg Tools (V=$500; X=$0)
    4. ClearVue CV1800 5 HP Cyclone with Wynn Filters (V=$1,295; X=$400[STRIKE] + SC Tax[/STRIKE])
    5. Low-Angle Block Plane, Medium Shouder Plane and 5-1/4 Bench Plane from Lee Valley Tools (V=$539; X=$0)
    6. CiO Easy Finisher and Ci4M Mini Detailer tools from Easy Wood Tools (V=$230; X=$0)
    7. 100 BF of Quarter Sawn White Oak from The Woodworking Source (V=$500; X=$0)
  3. [STRIKE]I expect that we will again get prizes from Lee Valley Tools and I am optimistic that we may get an offer from ClearVue Cyclones (I have a good personal relationship with the owner and I own 2 CV cyclones and have helped them sell 5 of their mini CV's and one large CV 1800).[/STRIKE]
  4. Kreg Tools will get a 3-month free sidebar ad for their prize since I offered the ad for any vendor that contributes more than $500 in prizes. [STRIKE]Right now, [/STRIKE]Klingspor [STRIKE]does not [/STRIKE] and The Woodworking Source will also qualify (Ad extensions). ClearVue Ad to start on date of drawing. Lee Valley gets free sidebar ad to start at onset of raffle (recommended).
  5. I'll update this thread as I receive responses from other vendors that I have written.
  6. I also plan to solicit some lumber again and will write to a few turning blank suppliers, too. My last step will be to solicit some gift certificates from a few vendors to fill in some lower end prizes, but only after I know what our cost exposure will be with a large vendor like Grizzly.
  7. If any of you want copies of my letters, I have created PDF file versions of each one for our files -- Scott -- do you want me to send those to you for the official record?
We're well on our way -- just [strike]7-8 6[/strike] 5 weeks to kickoff! Our total prize value is now $4,529!

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks Rob for the detailed Update. Would you like me to contact Rick at the Woodworking Source for his options?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, ypu have the magic touch:icon_thum

I sent a letter to One-Way a few weeks back. No reply so I guess we can cross that off the list.

M

McRabbet

Thanks Rob for the detailed Update. Would you like me to contact Rick at the Woodworking Source for his options?

Tracy: I think that would be great! I've got a bunch of irons in the fire as you can see and you know him better than I do. If anyone else has suggested sources, please let me know (be sure to include any personal contact names and addresses).

M

McRabbet

Copies of all letters sent to Scott Smith for NCWWI files; contacted 3 more vendors and edited first post to add them to the list .

M

McRabbet

Great News! I got a call from Ed Morgano of ClearVue Cyclones and they will contribute a CV1800 system with a pair of Wynn 0.5 micron Filters for our raffle if we can help defray their cost with $400. The current value is $1,295, so we can have it at less than 1/3 cost. I told Ed that I could drive down to SC to pick it up and we will arrange getting it to the eventual winner using the NCWW Pony Express (in hindsight, they make left hand and right hand versions which the winner might want to choose). I told him they would get a free 3-month ad as we've promised and he agreed with me that the optimal time to start it would be to coincide with the raffle drawing in May.

I will update the opening post here and start a new thread to ask for BoD approval of the $400 expenditure.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I think Rob is doing a great job with the raffle prizes and has contacted a lot of vendors. I noticed that Freud is not on the list. They may have been contacted in the past and Rob may know that they won't participate. If so, please disregard this suggestion. Last year Tom had their truck at the picnic and they got plenty of exposure which very well might have resulted in some sales at a later date. I wonder if we should consider informing them that we will allow their truck to be on-site in exchange for the donation of a prize. Some possibilities would be the SD 508 dado blade, router bits, tablesaw blades, etc.

Does this sound reasonable/unreasonable?

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
Spoke with Rick today and he is sorting through his wood. He has offered 100 BF of quarter sawn wood. There are two species he is looking at. I will name the one he chooses once he sorts through it. I will tell you that either choice will be gorgeous.

M

McRabbet

Check out the good news from Lee Valley Tolls in the first post. We are now up to $3,799 in value!! I have forwarded info to Tracy concerning a free ad for Lee Valley Tools.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
We might want to consider starting a post to "prime the pump" for the raffle. We have a lot of new members that do not know about the raffle and/or picnic. We do not need to list the tools/items that make up the prize list, but a general background of the raffle, the fact that the drawing will be at the picnic and the brands involved might be enough. The responses in the thread might keep the interest level high up until the official full annpuncement.

Just an idea.

Doug

M

McRabbet

We might want to consider starting a post to "prime the pump" for the raffle. We have a lot of new members that do not know about the raffle and/or picnic. We do not need to list the tools/items that make up the prize list, but a general background of the raffle, the fact that the drawing will be at the picnic and the brands involved might be enough. The responses in the thread might keep the interest level high up until the official full annpuncement.

Just an idea.

Doug
Doug,

I think your idea is a good one, but I fear it would immediately dilute the donations drive if we "pre-announce" the forthcoming raffle. I hate to suggest that we are being greedy, but let's face it, we need the donations and good respsonse from the raffle. The Donations Drive will finish in two weeks and we will have a full month to "pump up" the raffle for all of our members (I advocate our leaving at least 2 weeks of down time after the end of the Donations Drive (ie, we start on April Fool's Day)!

Why does Clearvue get a sidebar and Klingspor does not? I don't understand the logic.
Travis,

Look at the value versus cost figures in my first post. Remember we agreed that we would provide a free 3-month sidebar for a $500 donation. Klingspor is providing a $1,300 Kapex with our cost at $850, or a $450 donation on their part. Kreg Tools is donating a $500 item so they get an ad; ClearVue is providing a $1,295 cyclone with our cost at $400 or a $895 donation so they get an ad; and Lee Valley is donating $539 in planes so they get an ad.

BTW, I have asked Klingspor and ClearVue for exact total costs including sales tax so you can send them checks.

TracyP

Tracy
Doug,

I think your idea is a good one, but I fear it would immediately dilute the donations drive if we "pre-announce" the forthcoming raffle. I hate to suggest that we are being greedy, but let's face it, we need the donations and good respsonse from the raffle. The Donations Drive will finish in two weeks and we will have a full month to "pump up" the raffle for all of our members (I advocate our leaving at least 2 weeks of down time after the end of the Donations Drive (ie, we start on April Fool's Day)!

Travis,

Look at the value versus cost figures in my first post. Remember we agreed that we would provide a free 3-month sidebar for a $500 donation. Klingspor is providing a $1,300 Kapex with our cost at $850, or a $450 donation on their part. Kreg Tools is donating a $500 item so they get an ad; ClearVue is providing a $1,295 cyclone with our cost at $400 or a $895 donation so they get an ad; and Lee Valley is donating $539 in planes so they get an ad.

BTW, I have asked Klingspor and ClearVue for exact total costs including sales tax so you can send them checks.

Just a thought, but for a $50.00 difference coming from a continual advertiser; should we not offer Klingspor a quarter free? This is the second Kapex at a discount. My fear is that Klingspor gets a drift of the other free ads and think that this is their third raffle and we are splitting hairs over 50.00. Just thinking out loud.

M

McRabbet

I'm fine with giving Klingspor the free ad too, because I think you are right, Tracy. I was focused on the current raffle and maintaining a solid revenue stream. Coleman Fourshee does not know about the offer we've made to other vendors because we did not send him a letter like we did with others. If the Board concurs, I'd be happy to tell him. We also need to think about the ad rotation idea that someone brought up -- we will soon be having Kreg, Lee Valley, and ClearVue ads along with the three we have now + Woodcraft and it would be nice to have their positions move on a regular basis.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Just a thought, but for a $50.00 difference coming from a continual advertiser; should we not offer Klingspor a quarter free? This is the second Kapex at a discount. My fear is that Klingspor gets a drift of the other free ads and think that this is their third raffle and we are splitting hairs over 50.00. Just thinking out loud.

That was my thoughts as well. I would guess Clearvue is selling to us at cost. I don't blame them, but it is what it is. Coleman/Klingspor has been a good sponsor and ally and I am for giving him 3 months for free with selling to us at cost as well.

Rob, as for the checks, I am now electronically paying the stuff, so it should be a lot faster and easier going forward.

M

McRabbet

Bump -- I've added new turning tools from Easy Wood Tools and contacts by Tracy and Scott to other vendors. Also credit Klingspor with 3-month free ad space. ClearVue will not charge us tax (I will pick up to avoid shipping cost). Total now $4,029!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS