Spring Raffle Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Hi everyone! We are beginning to think about our next North Carolina Woodworker Raffle and we want to get some input from our members on prizes that we should look for. For the benefit of our newer members, we hold two Raffles each year and have had 7-10 prizes in each, with tickets at $5 each. Here are the Links to the Spring 2009 and Fall 2009 Raffles for your info. The Spring 2010 Raffle will be run in April - May.

I've started this thread to get your input so we can look for prizes that you want. While some of you might want to suggest a mega-prize, please try to keep your suggestions within a $1,500 - 2,000 price tag. And if anyone wishes to contribute a prize (we had member contributions in both of last year's raffles), please contact me via PM. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Shop Fox lathe from The Source - help Rick with a sale and give a good prize to the winner - DeWalt Scroll saw? Turning Tools ie: calipers, bowl gouge, sanding/finishing material -

Just a few things that I could think of this early morning

bwat

New User
Bill
I agree that we should seek donations from national suppliers first and if club funds are used that they be spent with our advertising supporters.

Last year was outstanding - great job. Anything close would be great! Thanks to all the organizers and board for all you do to assist keeping this site an awesome place!:icon_thum

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
1. 13" planer
2. 6" Jointer
3. Drill press
4: Dust Collector
5. Air Filter
6. Planes
7. Router table
8. Drum Sander
9. Band Saw
10. Sanding center

Etc........

Anything you decide on would be great!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Whatever we do I think we need to send Bas to sweetalk the Grizzly girls. From what I hear he has some sort of mystical power over them. Perhaps he can can score a few sponsored prizes for us!

In that vein I really like the idea of personally contacting the major suppliers (especially those that get a lot of documented positive press in our forums) like Griz, Rikon, Ridgid, Delta, SawStop, Festool, etc. This forum has arguably generated a lot of business for them. It wouldn't hurt to show them the membership v. guest number either and remind them that while we generally only allow local members we have a HUGE number of guests (most likely from around the world) who use this as a source of information as well. I bet Froglips could put together some pretty convincing stats....

Trav

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
All the prize's so far sound wonderful~!

Now Do I still have a Chance to win even though I will be living in Utah by that time?

Matthew

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Some turning tools would be great.

Also I think that it is very important to stick with whatever guidelines are laid out in the rules. I know that the way the last raffle went the rules were changed at the lunch, and the prizes drawn in reverse order. This meant that not every member(those that won earlier at least) were not in for the "Grand Prize" pull. This was clearly the opposite of how the rules were spelled out.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Some turning tools would be great.

Also I think that it is very important to stick with whatever guidelines are laid out in the rules. I know that the way the last raffle went the rules were changed at the lunch, and the prizes drawn in reverse order. This meant that not every member(those that won earlier at least) were not in for the "Grand Prize" pull. This was clearly the opposite of how the rules were spelled out.

We had a discussion on that and are in agreement.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's tempting to just put my wishlist here, but last time I looked, patience and expertise isn't in the Grizzly catalog (or the Lee Valley one for that matter). Whatever the prizes, I think they should be "luxury" items. As useful as a 13" planer is, most people probably have one, and if not it's at least within most people's price range. But something like a specialty hand plane, that's a different story. Something people would love to have, but just can't see themselves spending the money on. Or one of the many accessories you want to have but SWMBO is home this week and might intercept the delivery.

My thoughts:

1. Leigh Mortise Jig (FMT)
2. Dowelmax
3. Kreg Deluxe K-3 Pocket Hole Jig
4. Bowl router kit (like the one Peachtree had on sale)
5. Roy Underhill class
6. Branding iron for signing your work
7. Moisture meter
8. Fein shop vac
9. Guided saw system
10. Cyclone modification for shop vac
11. Set of carbide Forstner bits
12. Set of high quality router bits (flush trim, spiral, roundover) - Freud, Whiteside, etc.
13. Top quality light-weight respirator
14. Li-Ion drill/ impact driver set
15. Lumber. Something exotic, that most people have never used before, like Zebrawood.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Heres something different, how about classes?

We have some really wonderful teachers and classes all over the state.

Roy Underhill's Woodwright's School comes to mind of course.

Jim

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Scroll saw (plus a stand would be a nice touch)

Lumber (oak, walnut, pecan, and so forth)

Router bit set (roundover, chamfer, straight, ogee) and a set for raised panel work

RayH

New User
Ray
Heres something different, how about classes?

We have some really wonderful teachers and classes all over the state.

Roy Underhill's Woodwright's School comes to mind of course.

Jim

I'm with Jim. Classes are a great idea. The problem is that while I need some basic "how to cut the board" classes, I imagine folks like Bas or DaveO (and many others) would prefer something like "fine tuning the angle on your cutting tool" (which, by the way, would be wasted on me). Perhaps a dollar value worth of training somewhere that either of us could get some value:dontknow:.

Beyond that, I think getting sponsor's (those wanting to sell something to the members) donations is a great way to get us to keep sending in the $$ and helping sponsors to see the benefit of North Carolina Woodworker support.

As is often said, "JMTCW"
Ray

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I think these are all very good Ideals. I like the mention of things like a moisture meater ans bowl sanding stuff. I would also suggest some "How To" dvd's. I think all involved with the last two raffels did a wonderful job the prizes have always been great.
Thanks Mark

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The idea of classes sounds great. It would be great if some of the local schools would donate some class time. That would be a nice raffle prize for a lucky NCWW member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors