Spring Loaded Pivoting Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I may be imagining this but I seem to remember someone rigging up a spring loaded shelf like this for storing equipment in one of the magazines, here or at Woodnet. My sanders are using up too much real estate and I can use an extra horizontal workspace. I think I can use some old hood springs and hinges but don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to. It would need to be able to handle ~100lbs. These mixer shelfs only handle 60lbs. Anyone got an idea or are some of my recreational activitees from the 60's and 70's revisiting me:drunken_s?
Thanks! (stay cool!!!)

http://images.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000145AA.pdf

34115-01-200.jpg

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
woodmagazine has something very similar, but they use a flip top design, you need the article let me know. I can scan it and send it to you.

Michael

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Michael! I have that article. I'm afraid my drum sander is too large(tall) for a flip top type mount.
I've scoured the web and it looks like I'm going to the junkyard when it cools off.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The problems with those foldaway things is that they usually have a lot of flex in them, especially if holding something heavy.

In my previous, tiny, shop I made a foldaway mount for a heavy machinist's vise. I mounted the vise to one end of a board and heavy duty hinges to the other end. It was too heavy for any kind of self-balancing spring mechanism. The hinge end was mounted to the back of the bench with the vise at the end of the board hanging down at the bottom of the cabinet. To use it I had to reach in and under the bench, grab the vise and swing/lift it forward and up to bench height,then insert some REALLY heavy duty pins to hold it. If I was going to be doing some heavy hammering I would also install a crutch under the vise.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Alan!
This is close to what I'll probably end up with. I'm thinking the springs will assist with the lifting part of it and using 2 cantilevered 2X4's on edge mounted to the bottom of the benchtop to support the bottom of the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS