Spring Cookout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Spring is on the way and hopefully we have all survived this harsh winter.

I'd like to invite the members to my place in the country for BBQ and talk of woodworking, maybe even some demonstrations and/or instruction.

First my driveway has to dry enough to let the bulldozers and gravel trucks get in and do their work. Did I mention it was a harsh winter?

On April 17.

Any comments, questions, suggestions?

Anybody want to offer a class or do a demonstration?

I'll offer log sled rides. :rotflm:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: Spring BBQ?

Wanted to let you know that the Geodesic Shop Crawl is schedule for April 10th.

Jim

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Always conflicts.

Better date? Anyone?

4/17? We can all celebrate getting our taxes completed (yes, I'm a terrible procrastinator).

You're not seeing this as a family event right? More of a Shop..errr, sit?

Travis

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

It always has been a family event. If you rather have shop hounds only we can think about it.

Usually at least a few couples come, sometimes they bring a camper or tent and stay the night.

I'm open, just want to share some time and have fun. Give something back to the group...

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Oh no, I'm all for family events. I just wasn't sure from the posting and wanted to clarify. I'm a low probability attender anyway due to the distance but who knows... maybe we can make a camping trip out of it or something.

Travis

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

April 17th I am on-call at work, so I have to hang close to home.

April 24 is my & Carla's 17th anniversary, plus we're going to run a 5K.

:dontknow: :tinysmile_cry_t:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

Mike,

My wife Sandra and I would like to enjoy your country place and hospitality on the 17th. Thanks for the invitation. We'd be glad to bring something for the meal... just let me know.

Bob

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Great Bob.

Let's see if any others can make it then decide on the food.

Thanks!

Dragon

New User
David

April 17th I am on-call at work, so I have to hang close to home.

April 24 is my & Carla's 17th anniversary, plus we're going to run a 5K.

:dontknow: :tinysmile_cry_t:

5K run? That would be day 1 of the anniversary countdown of my demise.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

My vote probably counts for zero or less due to how many times I have tried to make it up there and haven't yet, but the 17th looks possible...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Good, bring the kids. Snakes should still be hibernating. They can run all through the woods.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach

I would like to go, but will be in a school all April. I might be able to make it by in May when I head home.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Mike,

Sounds like a great time. Everything is very up in the air for us right now with the transition, but I will hopefully be there. :icon_thum

That's a great picture BTW.

CarvedTones

Andy

Probably won't make it Mike, but it's about time you used that pic for your avatar.

Makes that horse look like a pony, though. :gar-Bi
Mike,

Did you put together that treadle lathe yet? That would make for some cool demos. I remember before you got it you were looking for a treadle base from an old sewing machine. Are you still? I was offered one a few days ago. EDIT - To be clear, I was offered a base without a machine and it needs a little TLC due to rust.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

The wood treadle lathe is still in pieces, it was poorly built and still needs several parts. I doubt that I will finish it, I would rather start over than to fix someone else's mistakes.

If you want it come get it. That goes for anybody here.

I would like to have a treadle base for my small lathe.

CarvedTones

Andy

Gee, Mike, you make that wood one sound so wonderful...

I go back and forth on whether I want a treadle one. If I were to get one, it would be for the "one of these days" Ren Fair and craft fair use. A cast iron base that says Singer on it would not be welcome at a Ren Fair, even if it is foot powered. Lately I am thinking maybe a bow lathe instead, since it would be more portable and it would be largely for show anyway. At the risk of offending neanders (and I lean that way myself), I don't get it when it comes to the lathe. Treadle lathes are generally larger and noisier than powered lathes and the work is still done in the same manner.

I will arrange to get the base for you. Hopefully I will be coming out myself. If I do, I might scroung the wood one for parts, but if someone else wanted to take it all and try to do it right, I would give them first dibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS