Spring 2012 Picnic Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was copied on an email by ScottM about the Spring 2012 Picnic location. If we are to have the picnic at the same place as last year we need to set a date and make reservations as early as possible. I don't feel this can wait until our next BOD meeting so I'm opening it for discussion. I don't want to initiate any action on this lest the Board decide they want to move the picnic. I know there was some talk about having it in or near Salisbury. Just want to get it on the table.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I think it's a good idea to get this ball rolling. My first thought was to put it to a vote by the membership. There might be a number of reasons this wouldn't be a good idea but it seems that with the criticism we've gotten in the past for the Triangle location it would be an opportunity to let everyone be heard.

cskipper

Cathy
I think the only alternative site even discussed was presented by Tracy. We need to know if he feels like it would be a good of a facility as the one last year.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it's a good idea to get this ball rolling. My first thought was to put it to a vote by the membership. There might be a number of reasons this wouldn't be a good idea but it seems that with the criticism we've gotten in the past for the Triangle location it would be an opportunity to let everyone be heard.

With regard to placing the location option to the members, the only members that should have any say would be the Corporate Members IMO, as the Spring Picnic is also the venue for the annual BOD election. While I realize the general membership is as welcome as any, it is incumbent upon us to select a site that is most convenient for the members that really need to be there.
JMTCW

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Please forgive me for disagreeing with this. Everybody wants the picnic "closer to where they live" and it will never end... I'd recommend looking into the place that Tracy suggested. Salisbury is still (more or less) centrally located in the state and it is a new location. That should silence the folks who complain about it being in the Triangle area, yet it's not so far away that it irritates the folks in the Triangle area. Members in the outlying areas of the state are used to driving further and understand the need for a central location. My .02

Trent

M

McRabbet

I'm fine with it being moved to Salisbury area or having it where we did last Spring -- we just need to set a date and place as soon as feasible. The Cary location requires a Cary resident to reserve it -- PeteB301 has done it before and I'm sure he'd do it again if requested.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
The park I was speaking of is Dan Nicholas Park. They have a corporate shelter that would accommodate our group. They also have a large playground, put put golf, train rides, petting barn, gem mining. One super review is here Dan Nicholas Park & Campground - Salisbury, NC - Kid friendly activity reviews - Trekaroo

They have something for everyone. From children to older folks. If interested I will check on prices this week.

But I need a confirmed date...........

M

McRabbet

I'd recommend Saturday, May 19th -- we want to avoid Memorial Day weekend, which is the week after that.

TracyP

Tracy
I'll call tomorrow for price, Someone please send me a pm or email so I remember. i am overly busy at work due to deer season:gar-Bi:gar-Bi.

TracyP

Tracy
I finally heard back from Dan Nicholas Park. The only shelter that has electricity is their big corporate shelter that has room for 500 people. It rents for 300.00 plus 15.00 for electricity for the full day. I won't know about the possibilities of wood sales until tomorrow. They do have other shelters available that hold 150 people.but they don't have electricity.

cskipper

Cathy
What did the shelter cost at Cary? Can we have PeteB301 check to see if 5/19 is available? We know we need electricity and the 19th is the only good Saturday in May?

(the 5th is Cinco de Mayo - may not matter to most, but may also be pretty cool out, the 12th is the day before Mother's Day and the 26th is the beginning of Memorial Day weekend.

M

McRabbet

Barbara should be able to check the cost of the shelter for last year in Cary; I don't think the cost for the shelter and electricity in Salisbury is prohibitive.

BTW, all Board members need to download the Minutes from our last meeting from the Download Library before Thursday so you will have then for our meeting on Saturday -- remeber the site is probably going to be down when we meet on Saturday!

cskipper

Cathy
Tracy, based on the discussion at our last board meeting, were you able to schedule the corporate shelter for May 19th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors