Spraying cabinet doors

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Depends on the panel. if it is solid wood, I assume it will move with humidity and finish it and the inner edge of the rails and stiles prior to assembly. If it is plywood I finish after assembly and usually put a little glue in the panel groove to strengthen the door.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Depends on the panel. if it is solid wood, I assume it will move with humidity and finish it and the inner edge of the rails and stiles prior to assembly. If it is plywood I finish after assembly and usually put a little glue in the panel groove to strengthen the door.

Exactly the same.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Exactly the same.
The last batch I did that way, same.
For solid colors though every little imperfection shows on the ply. To sand them once assembled is a bit of a chore.
This time, will try and prime the panels first, finish with 320 RO, then assemble and spray the whole door.

pic shows the stiles and rails, done, about to cut the panels
image.jpg
the

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Willhem, wipe your panels with a wet rag before finish sanding, this raises grain, first with the wet, let them sit for a few minutes, wipe with a dry cloth, let them dry, then sand. I always put at least one coat of paint on before assembly.
ttps://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/primer-sealers/cover-stain-oil-base-prime, they make this in water base, fantabulous, 30 min dry lets you get almost glass finishes, 30 min dry

Last edited:

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
I would use double refined mdf for the panel if they are solid color. Even with mdf core ply you still get some imperfections in the veneer.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willhem, wipe your panels with a wet rag before finish sanding, this raises grain, first with the wet, let them sit for a few minutes, wipe with a dry cloth, let them dry, then sand. I always put at least one coat of paint on before assembly.
ttps://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/primer-sealers/cover-stain-oil-base-prime, they make this in water base, fantabulous, 30 min dry lets you get almost glass finishes, 30 min dry
Sky, welcome to come over anytime. I try and do 25 hours a week in the shop, but right now on overload.
I use a conversion varnish undercoater as the primer. It is formulated to dry within 15 minutes, and high pigmented solids in white. It sands extremely easy.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
looks great, overload is good and BAD. Wish I could help you out my friend. Seems we do many of the same things :D :D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS