Spoon Scorp or Similar Tool

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have been wanting to try a new tool maybe something like a scorp. I might would use it to remove wood from a spoon or bowl…If it is sharp how hard is it on your hands? Is there a brand that is much better than the others? This is a new area for me …. I’m just in thinking mode for now. TIA

teesquare

T
Senior User
First...buy a Kevlar glove for the non- gouge holding hand....My first carving lesson was..."scarring....

teesquare

T
Senior User
Glad to hear! I hate to know of injuries that could have been prevented- so you are ahead of the game already.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a scorp somewhere in my barn/shop if you'd like to borrow it to try before buying one. But I'm a fair distance from you. I could send it in the mail since it's small.
Weren't you looking for some elderberry a while back with which to make a flute? I have some in the backyard that may be big enough if you are still looking.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Yes I was looking for elderberry. It would need to be pretty straight or as straight as possible…( I need it pretty straight cause I drill a hole from one end to other…. I usually have great success)I don’t know how big it gets???? I still would like some if a good size and straight. I’m on foreign ground on elderberry….don’t know what it even looks like ( this would be a great education for me)take a pic if you can.. Thanks!!!! I have my eyes on a scorp

Last edited:

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'll try to get a picture. There are a few pieces that might be big enough and straight enough. Right now they are full of clusters of flowers which will become berries. I'd like to wait until the berries are gone before cutting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors