Spoon making or Shaving horse workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm open to doing some small workshops at my shop in Walnut Cove, NC.

Spoon carving - $75 one day class, I supply everything, limited to three students. Will do more classes if wanted. Will discuss three types of spoons, show some examples and you will make at least one spoon.

Shaving horse - $100 two day class I supply everything, you will leave with a shaving horse.

Name a weekend.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
definitely interested in the spoon workshop.
unfortunately, for now, my schedule doesn't allow Saturday mornings.

Is it possible or practical to split it into a Sat afternoon plus Sun afternoon?

There's only one of me but maybe that would help some others too

I realize it won't be good for those who need to travel some distance.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Would all day Sunday work?

I think splitting it is a bad idea for anyone who doesn't live next door. :rotflm:

jpaup

New User
JP
Hi Mike,

Definitely count me in on the spoon carving class. Looks like you are about a 2 hour role from my place so the one day format would work best. My schedule is pretty full for this coming Memorial Day weekend, but I'm open for any Saturday/Sunday after that.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Im in for a shaving horse as we have discussed before. I hoped to be on 1st next week but alas I have been delayed yet again. I think the price is fine. all that entertainment and you get to keep the shaving horse too. I kep getting a little closer every week. See you soon I hope:gar-Bi
Thanks MArk

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I'd really like to do it, once I get the treadle lathe working, I will need something like a shaving horse or bodger's bench to prepare blanks, I just don't have the time with 2 kids signed up to do kid things on the weekend.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Any homes for sale in the area? I would have to talk it over with SWMBO, but who knows? :gar-La;

I've split the acreage on my farm, house and 20 acres for 210,000, includes log barn, 16x16 shop, spring fed stream, house is three bedroom, two bath, library, great room, pantry, laundry, 2300 Sq ft.

Shop is designed for easy expansion to 16x32 or 16x48.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Would be interested in the spoon class but right now have a very bad case of lackoftime.

jpaup

New User
JP
Looks like with one more opening for a full class of spoon carving. Anyone else interested in signing up? IMHO spoon carving is a low investment, extremely portable form of woodworking that you can take with you almost anywhere. No DC, electricity or hearing protection required!:rotflm: Don't let this opportunity to learn from Mike pass.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
John, if you and smallboat want to meet this Sunday or next we can work it out.

Right now two is plenty. I have my old shave horse and two new ones started. One is almost ready to use.

I have 5 each of draw knives, spoke shaves and bent knives.

Oh, but you have a set of tools like that too, right?

jpaup

New User
JP
Mike,

I can bring my tools along and see how they adapt to your carving technique. I can also drag along my shaving horse if that will help. I'll put my vote in for Sunday 6/12, but can make 6/5 if that works better for you and smallboat. Let me know.

Thanks,

John

P.S. I heard from James via PM, and as you expected, he has been tied up with work.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
6/12 would be better - I just made a commitment for 6/5 am.

I have a draw knife, but will need to rely on you for the rest to get started.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Then we are set for 6/12 around 9am. We can go out for lunch, then plan to hit the road by 6pm.

Long day but you will have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS