spool cabinet restoration

mrmilburt

New User
mike
I'm trying to restore a spool cabinet for my wife to use, and I really don't know what goes in the inside of the drawers. I haven't found a picture that shows the drawer interior. she seems to think that it's a series of cove pieces that the thread spools just sit in horizontally. if anyone has any info in this, and/or, how to make it, I would appreciate knowing about it.
TIA
mike

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I was curious to see what came up so I looked at some of those spool cabinets.
It looks like there were two types: one for the sellers of thread and the other for the users of threads.
My mother had an antique spool cabinet that she really liked. The drawers were plain shallow drawers. I remember asking about that and she said that the spools varied in size so much that it wasn't practical to have specific holders.
It may be a good strategy to observe the geometry of the various spools to see if there is enough consistency to make troughs or pegs in a drawer.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
The shaker museum has an online archive of all sorts of shaker items with pretty good pictures. Includes lots of sewing furniture. It may not give you an exact plan, but might help with layout.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS