Spokeshave Suggestion ?

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Hey, I'm wanting to make a new handle for an old hammer. Will be using some scrap maple and wanted to have a look that's not too refined & smooth but rather you can see the plane lines/where shaved angles meet (if you know what I'm talking about....if not I'll try and find a picture to explain). I do however want a tapered bend in the handle like most have and am thinking a spokeshave purchase is in order. I'll likely also use it for some log/twig furniture accents.

Questions
  • Do you believe a flat, round or concave shaped spokeshave would be best here ?
  • Do you believe I do not really need a spoke shave for the hammer handle but could use my LN rabbeting block plane just as easily ? I'm thinking I couldn't w/ the tapered curved portion of the handle and certainly not for twigs due to turns

Thanks in advance !
Jeremy

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a few if you want to try different ones to see what you like best before spending any cash.

I like the old Stanley the best. You can cut a gentle curve easily with the flat bottom, but if the curve is really tight you would need a curved bottom shave.

BKHam

Bradley
User
hey Jeremy, i'm not an expert user of spokeshaves. I bought some cheap stanleys and didn't have a ton of luck with them. They have an extremely wide mouth. I ended up getting the boggs curved bottom shave from Lie Nielsen and its my go to. even on some flat items, it works awesome. i'm sure the flat is great too. i believe the flat would work fine for your project.

if you don't foresee future uses for it, then your block plane will work just fine. but if you are going to buy one and you are obviously interested in nice tools because of your block plane choice, i'd highly recommend the boggs from LN.

the blade is nice and thick which makes it easy to sharpen I've found which is probably the most important part of spokeshave enjoyment....staying sharp.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a curved bottom, flat and concave from Veritas. I also have a record flat bottom and Stanley. Perhaps my misuse but i have never really been successful with the round bottom one. The veritas blade stays sharp longer than the other two but the screw in wood handles are a painnas they always loosen during use. Not an issue with the stanley or record. However their handles do not feel as natural. I use all 3 interchangeably depending on which is sharp when I need it. The veritas with the curved blade is handy for rounded pieces but i have never figured out how to sharpen it properly. FYI, do not go with the new Stanley as it is not near the tool as an older one. I have a new one that stays in the drawer and has only been sharpened once. The Lie Nielsen ones are nice as well but priced accordingly.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a curved bottom, flat and concave from Veritas. I also have a record flat bottom and Stanley. Perhaps my misuse but i have never really been successful with the round bottom one. The veritas blade stays sharp longer than the other two but the screw in wood handles are a painnas they always loosen during use. Not an issue with the stanley or record. However their handles do not feel as natural.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have an old flat #151 Stanley flat bottom. It will work great for most of what you describe. However, for the inside of gentle curves, I use my draw knife flipped with the bevel down. (It needs to be very sharp). In doing so, you really have to pay attention to how the grain is running, so may have to switch the directions of the cut. A card scraper may be necessary to smooth out "twig" areas.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I also have the Veritas shaves; I really like their feel. I bet the Boggs / Lie Nielsen tools are super nice too. (I also had poor luck with cheap ones - I suspect it was poor technique + poor tool = bad results.)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS