Spindle Gouge vs Fingernail Gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
What's the difference between a fingernail gouge and a regular spindle gouge? I know the actual physical difference...but when would you use one vs the other?

Rob

New User
Rob
The grind is the difference usually. A fingernail gouge has a smaller point and swept back wings, allowing for more detailed work.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
The difference is more pronounced on a bowl gouge. Some come from the factory ground straight across, which can lead to some pretty good catches. if you grind the tip to a fingernail profile, you lessen the chance of catching the corner. And if you carry it onto a swept-back with wings, you can peel wood off at a great rate.

Roy G

Gary_C

New User
Gary
The difference is more pronounced on a bowl gouge. Some come from the factory ground straight across, which can lead to some pretty good catches. if you grind the tip to a fingernail profile, you lessen the chance of catching the corner. And if you carry it onto a swept-back with wings, you can peel wood off at a great rate.

Roy G

This is what I was looking for...more of why you would use one or the other....the physical differences are kind of obvious if you look at them. I'm at the stage when I'm still trying to decide which tool to grab....I'd like to go on something more than "lets see what this one will do...."

Another similar issue....which skew to use....a regular skew or an oval skew....my kit has an oval skew but at the shop I use...their skew has a more square angular bevel...so why would you choose one over the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS