Spicing It Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm going to make the shelf below, but I'd like some suggestions on ways to make it more stylish without getting overly complicated with the cuts. (I don't have a band saw.) As it is now, it's extremely boring. Should I make the vertical ends a half inch wider and round over the edges? Should there be an offset somewhere? Please humor me.

Y9YUXXb.png
fdgINVx.png

SketchUp File: View attachment Desk Mic Stand Shelf 02.skp

Drew

Drew Goodson
User
Function over form. I see that it’s called “desk mic stand” but i’m still unsure how you’ll use this.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Function over form. I see that it’s called “desk mic stand” but i’m still unsure how you’ll use this.
It will be mounted on the wall. The back has a French cleat. Microphone desk stands will sit on it.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I like Mike's suggestion.

What are you going to make it out of? How about some nice QSWO? Give it a bit of an Arts and Crafts look.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I'm going to make the shelf below, but I'd like some suggestions on ways to make it more stylish without getting overly complicated with the cuts. (I don't have a band saw.) As it is now, it's extremely boring. Should I make the vertical ends a half inch wider and round over the edges? Should there be an offset somewhere? Please humor me.

Agree with your analysis Mike. I have great difficultly 'liking' pretty much anything that is solely rectilinear - ALL straight lines and square corners.
Our Shaker style kitchen cabinets are made that way, but there are offsets and reveals that break up monotony. THe bullnose counter top edging provides some relief.

To me it depends on the intended usage/placement. I would add an upward curve to the top of the back, and possibly a matching one to the bottom of the back. However I think the square sides are the most prominent aspect that gives the square box feeling to this drawing. Traditionally I believe a shelf like this would not have a full square side, but a curved side support - with the curve starting at the shelf edge, dipping toward the shelf/corner joint, then curving back up towards the top (grain running vertically. Of course when i do a google image search all I get is the extremely boxy all square edged look - guess my view is dated.
Consider something somewhat like this link - with either only the region below the shelf, OR only the side support above the shelf. Either was works
http://www.roustabout.me/4081/shabb...ng-unit-uk-shabby-chic-wall-shelf-with-hooks/

That's a more traditional look (in my view at least).
For me - I NEED some curvature for my 'eye' and to me the best place for it is the side support. Other curves could be implemented as well - judiciously.

Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Thank you Mike and Henry.

And here's another idea. I'm trying to keep it all straight lines so Mike can make the cuts on his table saw easily.
Good stuff. I picked the same one that Mike did. It will be fun to experiment with some of the suggestions. I'll need to learn how to make and use a tapering jig for the table saw, but it was already on the list anyway. This piece is not to be an heirloom, but it illustrates the frustration I have (like Henry) with boring designs.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thank you Mike and Henry.

And here's another idea. I'm trying to keep it all straight lines so Mike can make the cuts on his tablesaw easily.

Not that I don't like your straight lines designs Dave, I do. There are other ways than a TS though; I'm not sure what Mike has access to other than his TS..
A jig saw would work as well for this type of project - you don't necessarily need a BS to cut a curve. I get better cuts and control (on thin stock) with a jig saw than with a BS. Having a /belt/disc and spindle sander helps in clean up either way.

I can assist in my shop if you want assistance with any of this Mike (Jigsaw, BS, and or sanders). My shop ain't a work of art - cluttered as it is, but it works.

Last edited:

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Henry, I like curves, too. But not every project has to have curves. And depending on the style, curves might not even be appropriate.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry, I like curves, too. But not every project has to have curves. And depending on the style, curves might not even be appropriate.

Absolutely agreed. My first inclination is toward curves, but I really like the things you have shown. Not my 'go to' idea, but this broadens my thinking (Congratulations, that's not an easy accomplishment!). Thanks for your ideas.

I wish I had just a bit of facility with SketchUp to better convey my ideas. I even bought your CD set, but had computer installation issues that I could not get past.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I wish I had just a bit of facility with SketchUp to better convey my ideas. I even bought your CD set, but had computer installation issues that I could not get past.
Henry, I can probably help you with your computer issues. Let me know. I'll have some time starting next week. I love SketchUp, and having Dave's SketchUp expertise available here is a bonus almost beyond words.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll throw this simple modification out for consumption. Most of it is cut on Mike's table saw and the curves on each end are later cut with a jig saw or coping saw.

Attachments

• shelf2:patlaw.skp
    23.3 KB · Views: 150
  • shelf:patlaw.skp
    23.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Sorry Jeff, I can't see, or open the attached files.

EDIT - I just realized there was a browser version of SketchUp - that works for me (at least I can view things).

I can now see at least one of your attached files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors