Specialized Gasket materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I assembled a basic Dust Deputy onto my own bucket but the gasket material isn’t working with the plastic lid and base of the Dust Deputy cyclone.

I used a 6” x 6” pure red rubber gasket that is used by plumbers. The rubber isn’t as soft as the gasket that Dust Deputy provides with their deluxe kits and I can’t get a seal without cranking down on the bolts. Tightening any tighter will most likely break the base of the Dust Deputy, the bucket lid or both.

A correct gasket needs to be softer and more than likely some type of “closed cell” foam in a 6” x 6” sheet.

So far, the ONLY candidate is a kitchen place mat. It’s kind of iffy to work and is pushing up the cost on the build.

Anyone else have Dust Deputy build experience or gasket ideas???

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
How about a wide bead of silicone or RTV instead? Should be easy enough to clean up if removal is necessary. Let it set some before tightening down the bolts like you would when making any other type of gasket/seal.

B.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I think what you want is 3/16 or 1/4 inch neoprene. It's closed cell and compressible with light pressure. 1" wide neoprene weather stripping is what I used available at the big boxes.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
You might look at weather stripping for doors and windows. It might be similar to what your seeking. I would also add a bead of silicon to make sure it's air tight.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I used ALEX Caulking to gasket my Dust Deputy to my collection barrel lid. The lid is two layers of 3/4 cabinet Birch plywood with ALEX between them too. The lower piece of plywood just fits inside my collection barrel and the upper piece is 2" larger in radius than the barrel. It provides an overhang for easy lifting. I used 3/4" closed cell foam Weatherstripping to form a seal on the overhanging plywood between the top edge of the barrel and the bottom of the top layer of plywood. No leaks at all on the first try and it has worked fine with no leaks for the last 2 years and three barrel dumpings. I used 2" rubber hubless plumbing couplings to attach the in and out lines to the Dust Deputy, and this worked well too. My barrel is a metal 20 gallon grease drum that was re-purposed. My vacuum is a re-purposed Whole House Central Vacuum. Way more suction than a Shop Vac, but sadly not enough volume of flow to handle my larger chip makers, the table saw and planer. It has been adequate for all of my other shop vacuum needs and I have an inlet port outside next to the passage door so I can vacuum the cars and trucks with it too. The exhaust from the vacuum system is vented out through the wall, so even the micron sized dust from scroll sawing, sanding, etc.never gets back into my shop.

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0478.jpg
    DSCF0478.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 212

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jim, I think that’s the same type of rubber sheet I originally used. It seemed like a good choice, but the plastic components aren’t rigid or strong enough to seal against that material.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Jim, I think that’s the same type of rubber sheet I originally used. It seemed like a good choice, but the plastic components aren’t rigid or strong enough to seal against that material.

I have a Dust Deputy that I bought with the original bucket from the manufacturer. I don't use it any longer but I think I remember that there was a metal ring that went under the bucket lid so that the lid was sandwiched between the upper part and the ring. That provided the necessary rigidity to get a good seal. I saw that you were using your own bucket. When you bought that upper cyclone part did it include the metal ring? If not then a wooden shop made one would work just as well I'd think. You might also need both an upper and lower gasket.

Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jim, I actually bought the full Dust Deputy kit with the buckets and liked it so much I decided to get a second one. That’s when I bought just the cyclone. I’ll take a closer look at my original.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I think what you want is 3/16 or 1/4 inch neoprene. It's closed cell and compressible with light pressure. 1" wide neoprene weather stripping is what I used available at the big boxes.

Chris, Did you use the neoprene weather strip on a Dust Deputy build?

BTW, My “Plan B” was to make the gasket from a place mat sold by my local Ace Hardware. Except, they’ve stopped selling them.

I did look at my original Dust Deputy that came with the buckets, hose and gasket. It’s just the plastic cyclone on top of the foam gasket and then the plastic lid. Nothing else.

Dusty Bob

New User
Bob
I put my vac and the dust deputy on wheels. I used a 5 gallon bucket connected to the dust deputy. The bucket lid was generally flimsy, so I cut a 1/4 inch thick plywood circle about two thirds the size of the lid, for each side of the lid. I sealed between each layer with silicone. It has worked very well forming a tight seal.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Chris, Did you use the neoprene weather strip on a Dust Deputy build?

No, actually I used it for the seal between the lid and chip barrel on my Clearvue install. I do not use any "positive" fasteners to hold the lid down, just gravity and the suction created by the cyclone. It seals very well. I think it is either 3/8" or 1/2" thick and if I recall the brand is WeatherKing or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS