Spatula handle7

ck1999

Chris
User
In the month of December we normally cook around 400 Boston butts at different times using standard Pig cookers. So to to help get them off the grill and into a transporting tray. I made a heavy-duty spatula. And it works well except for the handle grip. With hands being greasy from the Boston butts and the handle getting the grease on it as well it tends to slip in your hand. What would be a good method that is also sanitary and easy to clean that I could use for the spatula to get a better grip.
The handle is maple. The piece of paper is just for reference of size.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 1024191827.jpg
    1024191827.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
In the month of December we normally cook around 400 Boston butts at different times using standard Pig cookers. So to to help get them off the grill and into a transporting tray. I made a heavy-duty spatula. And it works well except for the handle grip. With hands being greasy from the Boston butts and the handle getting the grease on it as well it tends to slip in your hand. What would be a good method that is also sanitary and easy to clean that I could use for the spatula to get a better grip.
The handle is maple. The piece of paper is just for reference of size.

Thanks

Chris
Put some grooves In the handle maybe

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Silicone grips for mountain bike handlebars? Can't tell if the size of the handle would be appropriate, but you could take them off and put them in the dishwasher. Increasing the diameter such as with silicone grips would be your best bet, I think, followed by grooving it.

stevenross

steven
User
I know this is a wood working forum but........why not use gloves and grab them off. Have used item like the below for similar tasks (like picking up a turkey out of a roasting oven) without issue;

ck1999

Chris
User
I know this is a wood working forum but........why not use gloves and grab them off. Have used item like the below for similar tasks (like picking up a turkey out of a roasting oven) without issue;

We're using them as well. But taking them off especially the back of the grill and to get up underneath them so you don't leave the meat stuck to the grill, we use a spatula to get up under them and then pull them back to the front of the grill. Also sometimes they fall apart when you grab them with gloves so spatula lift them up gentler

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Division of labor might be your only answer. Rubber gloves coated with pig grease are probably going to slip on pretty much every shape handle there is. So have a roving spatula guy who never touches the pig with the spatula hand. No grease, no slip.

There is one other way I can think of that might help. Use a triangular file to cut a deep and pointed cross hatch pattern into the spatula handle, sort of like checkering a pistol grip except much coarser. The resulting points might dig just enough into the gloves to help gripping.

I do wish you luck.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
get the gloves that have the friction grit embedded in them. We use them @ work to handle oily pipe. Those will work.

ck1999

Chris
User
Someone bought a green egg pizza peel. and it lasted about 3 grills before it started to tear. The weight of the butts kept bending it where the flat part and the handle meet. That is why I made this one out of stainless. We used a large heavy spatula but the the handle was short and the area was too small for a butt.

Chris

ck1999

Chris
User
I did not know they made silicone handles like richard mentioned. So I looked on amazon for a silicone handle and found one that I have ordered to see how it will work.

Chris

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Gloves sound best, could also additionally wrap with handle-bar tape. I think the silicone will be slippery.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
We use the black chemical worker gloves. Where my son works at the airport, there is always a bucket full of them on the lav service truck. I buy mine new at AgriSupply. You might want to try an auto body putty mixing board from Harbor Freight. I use on to lift meringue pies out of the oven.

ck1999

Chris
User
So here is a picture of the attached handle I got. I guess we'll see this year how it works.
There was two handles that only cost $8
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 1027191342.jpg
    1027191342.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS