Spalted maple stain options

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Update: worked till about 8 PM last night. Niece was actively assisting and asking what she could do to help. Going with the BLO. She still wants it darker. May run to Lowes and see if another oil might help darken it a little more. This has about 3 coats so far. Also added a strip of purple heart for design impact.

20200801_061743.jpg

I'm making a small bench with some spalted maple for my niece (she picked the boards). It is very light colored wood and she is wanting a darker stain. What could we use to get a darker color with out losing the spalting lines? I don't know HOW dark she wants yet.

20200728_200846.jpg

Last edited:

ck1999

Chris
User
Not sure how dark she wants, but I have had some that I used for hot mats and oil darkened it. This is ambrosia not spalted.

Attachments

• 15960742428667748409902674151414.jpg
    15960742428667748409902674151414.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 611

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I thought about adding the lightest of coloring to a Maple table base I’m making but can’t seem to Decide on anything other than a clear finish that might deepen the natural look - that’s the safest approach Ican think of. It’s either that or go all the way to a super dark brown or even a black finish.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Not sure how dark she wants, but I have had some that I used for hot mats and oil darkened it. This is ambrosia not spalted.
What type oil did you use, and was the wood as light as mine prior to oiling?

I think she might like this. She is coming over from TN tomorrow for the weekend, so this is going to be a really quick build.

ck1999

Chris
User
What type oil did you use, and was the wood as light as mine prior to oiling?

I think she might like this. She is coming over from TN tomorrow for the weekend, so this is going to be a really quick build.
Just mineral oil as I was using for a hot mat. It looked light until oil applied. I am not sure why but I have some that turned dark and some stayed light. Both looked light after sanding. I am not sure what the difference is. As the pieces were cutoffs.

Maybe someone else has some ideas of why it darkened.

Chris

Jeff

New User
Jeff
BORG boiled linseed oil (BLO) diluted with mineral spirits (about 1:1 or 2:1). Put it on and let it soak into the wood and then wipe it off THOROUGHLY several times with plenty of rags. Usually 3-4 coats are recommended.

And finish too! The oil will give the wood an amber (yellowish) color but won't obscure the the fine details.

BTW, your boards show the holes from the Ambrosia beetle often found in red maple (soft maple).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS