Spalted maple short blocks - what to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I apparently have a firewood rack full of the stuff pictured below. Well, half full anyway - I'm hoping I can dig some more oak out of there. Anyway, since its worthless in the fireplace, it seems like a waste to toss it, since I know there is some demand for this stuff (I don't know jack about turning). I'll probably resaw some of it thin and hang onto it...but I've probably got a dozen logs ranging 8-16" dia (18-24" long). Anybody want some? Should I cut it into blanks like below and auction it to raise some money for the site? It was cut a little more than a year ago and has been outside, stacked off the ground but uncovered, since then - it's still pretty wet. What to do?

SpaltedMaple.jpg

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I wouldn't mind trading for cutoffs of figured woods. Other than that, my price is donations to NCWW :>

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
This has me curious - does spalted wood check much?
Only a year and whole logs in the weather means it is far from dry. But my experience with spalted wood is that it seems to have relaxed the tension in a different way, if that makes any sense. rough turned wet spalted wood doesn't seem to deform nearly as bad, if at all, as normal timber. Do you still seal the ends?

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
YES,Spaulted wood will split,check,crack or what ever you wanna call it,just as bad as clear wood,so yes it should be sealed with anchor sear or some other type of sealer.I have sent many of blanks to the old firepit. :gar-Cr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS