Southern Magnolia

Status
Not open for further replies.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
My county is preparing to cut down two giant southern magnolia trees near our courthouse. These trees are 80-100 years old and are hugh. They both are at least 36" in diameter (maybe more) two feet above the "bell". It is unfortunate they have to be cut down but they (mainly their roots) are now threatening the foundation our our courthouse and the deed must be done. One suggestion was to use some of the wood from the trees for projects so they would not just go to waste. The plentiful limbs probably make lumber from these trees not too feasible but I was wondering ifI could get some pieces large enough for bowl blanks.

Has anyone ever worked with magnolia, especially turning? How would be best to dry it? What is the best process for dealing with the tree right after it is cut down? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob Liles

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Magnolia is my favorite wood to turn. It smells just like magnolia blossomw while turning and if you are careful in end sealing and lucky with drying as to avoid fungal growth, the wood has a wonderful cream color with hints of dark brown stripes. It is very soft (similar to poplar) therefore sanding is a breeze. I have a couple of photos posted of finished product in my photo gallery. I have never seen dried lumber but would love to locate a supply. Everyone that has a Magnolia tree in their yard complains and indicate they would like to cut it down. unfortunately when you indicate you will do it for free just to have the trunk, they change their mind.

This may be of interest to your local woodturning club. I am a member of the piedmont triad woodturning club and quite often some cuts an unusual tree and the club dispenses the wood.

JRD

New User
Jim
Rob,

I've turned quite a few items from Magnolia and find it a very enjoyable wood to work with. Creamy in color, fairly easy to turn as well.

I always use the DNA bath with roughed out turnings, so I can't comment on other drying methods.

Things turned have been a Mortar and Pestle for my son - a research scientist, many bowls, and even a pen/pencil set for an interim minister from the north at our church.

I'm always looking for more Magnolia and think it would be interesting to find a piece large enough for
a hollow form.

If you can, grab some.

Jim

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Everyone that has a Magnolia tree in their yard complains and indicate they would like to cut it down.

Really? Hmm...I wonder why? It is probably the favorite tree on our lot - looks like a giant xmas tree :> We've even considered putting lights on it, but I don't know how I'd get them near the top. The kids love to climb it. I wish we had another.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe you can score some nice chunks and offer them to the members here. I am sure they will help the city clean up effort. :widea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors