South Carolina funeral home to honor unclaimed veteran

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Yea, I had to say I was shocked. I didn't specifically ask if the Funeral Home was footing the bill or if he had pre-arranged, but it sounded like the Funeral Home was taking care of it?! (if so, I am IMPRESSED!)

The funeral home is part of a larger chain of funeral homes and their parent company has a program in place that provides for burial of unclaimed veterans (they could not locate any surviving family) with full honors. So it essentially comes out of the collective companies’ profits. But it is great that they have such a program in place as it it heartbreaking to hear of a deceased veteran with no surviving family left to claim them upon death.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I need about 30 medallions to finish out the urns I have on hand. I have been applying shellac, then lacquer to finish these all out, hope to have that all completed this afternoon. It's my go to finish, shellac, lacquer, sand, wipe, lacquer. It takes a long time but it's worth it. So far I have used 4 quarts of 2 pound cut shellac, 3 cans of Bulls Eye Aerosol shellac, and 3 cans of rattle can lacquer. My Airlex sprayer is missing a seal and it's now obsolete, so forget parts even though they are still be offered as new stock in many places. The Wagner spray gun blew through the shellac way too fast, and splattered often. My siphon spray gun would likely suffice, but the air compressor is out back in the barn, and too heavy to move to the shop easily, and the barn does not lend itself to this work with all the rain happening, therefore a lot of brushing happened on the first 25. My shoulders hated brushing. Anyhow, it's been a struggle to get these done as there just ain't no wiggle room in the shop with urns covering both benches and table saw, but it's getting there! Hope to move most to Klingspors Hickory by Friday.
My personal thanks to all of you who took the time to build all the urns, with a special attaboy! Phil Soper for organizing and hosting, as well as feeding everyone, and Charley for furnishing jigs to aid in assembly and cracking the whip! You guys ROCK!

Skymaster

New User
Jack
shhhh dems were my jigs i gave to phil to make more lol ncww medallions? How do we get them to you? hmmmmmmmmmm maybe time for lunch in Siler city. REGGIE REGGIE?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Work it out, work it out, I'm most always open to good suggestions! That's GOOD suggestions! I'd really like to affix NCWW emblems before I move them to Klingspors. I have about 14 old style urns complete, and a handful of new style that I hope to move there tomorrow. I'll let you and Raymond know how many after I do it, for record keeping. Where the heck is Silo City?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bruce, Siler City is where we all met a couple of years ago to divvy up the medallions and discuss the second build needs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I did call them. Caughman Harman Funeral Home will be doing a full Burial for him!
I was shocked!

The government pays for the burial with "full military honors" whether it's in a casket or cremated remains.

"The services are supported by the Dignity Memorial Homeless Veteran Program, a joint effort by Dignity Memorial funeral homes, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, and veteran's groups to provide all unclaimed veterans with a final salute."

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS