South Carolina funeral home to honor unclaimed veteran

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Caughman Harman Funeral Home (Columbia SC) said the funeral for Petty Officer Third Class James Miske will be 10 a.m. Friday at Fort Jackson National Cemetery near Columbia.
I am going to give them a call tomorrow to see how he will be laid to rest - if cremated, can we get an urn down here for him?
South Caroline funeral home to honor unclaimed veteran

Skymaster

New User
Jack
kinda really short time frame. last time I had to ship an urn blasted UPS wanted 75$. that said I have an older urn available, will check to make sure it doesnt have a service emblem already on it.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
kinda really short time frame. last time I had to ship an urn blasted UPS wanted 75$. that said I have an older urn available, will check to make sure it doesnt have a service emblem already on it.
Thank you - I will make the call - do you know if anyone in Hickory (Bruce) or Charlotte??? has a flatpack or any assembled urns? Then we could just ship the medallion...

Again, this may be a moot point as it could be taken care of, but until I call we will not know....

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Bruce has about 50, Reggie may have a few also. Dont know about medallions. I have some here, I have Brad making a bunch also. Navy being the one we need I have some here, If needed give me address of funeral home and I can send it if time allows

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe Bruce will chime in... I will post as soon as I hear from the funeral home...

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I can have an urn on the way this afternoon. US Navy emblem will be in place. Call my cell, 828-238-6514 and alert me if this is a go.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Sorry I didn't see this thread until just now, I may not be real good, but I'm slow!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did call them. Caughman Harman Funeral Home will be doing a full Burial for him!
I was shocked!
But I did say that we offer this service (a free wooden urn for a veteran who is being cremated and would be laid to rest in a cardboard or other style urn...)

So call off the dogs...

Thank you for everyone's help...

Skymaster

New User
Jack
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just called them to express my appreciation for this outstanding respect for our vets

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea, I had to say I was shocked. I didn't specifically ask if the Funeral Home was footing the bill or if he had pre-arranged, but it sounded like the Funeral Home was taking care of it?! (if so, I am IMPRESSED!)

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I think I am going to get a brochure to the funeral director... just in case...
We should probably see if we can get into some funeral director marketing locations in general - I'd be willing to help with that in my new role if it allows.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
we have about 4 already, they run thru Bill Johnson in Goldsboro as I keep him stocked, he also maintains inventory. When he see he is getting low I fire up a new batch and run them down to him. In next few months I expect him to need a refill, so I will be looking for material when that happens

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe Phil Soper has about 50 at his shop as a total of 114 were made that weekend Phil hosted an Urn building session.

Urns for Vets build day(s) Photo update

Let's not waste that effort but spread around those already constructed.

If I am not mistaken we do not have enough medallions for all of them - not only the NCWW medallion that goes on the bottom but we have serious shortage of each service medallion.

Berta, do you still have the bag of medallions I gave you? If so, how many of each do we have?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I read that - "I have new NCWW bottoms" - the mental image was PRICELESS!!!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS