source for rigid plastic panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I'd like to use some rigid transparent plastic, acrylic or plexiglass panels to enclose the front of a screened shelter to help keep out rain during heavy thunderstorms. I'd like the panels to be at least 1/16" thick. My plan is to use something like mirror clips to hold them in place. I'd like to be able to take them down when not needed but to be able to put them back up quickly when storms blow up. I need 3 and they need to be about 77" x 44". I've been using rolled plastic sheets but they usually don't last more than a year plus I have staples everywhere and it looks pretty ghetto.

Anyone know of a source, preferably local, of rigid transparent plastic? There was a company in Raleigh that sold different types of plastic in sheets but I don't know if they had transparent sheets and I can't remember the name of the company (it's been 10 years).

Thanks.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I recommend "multi-wall polycarbonate", commonly available for greenhouses through many sources including home improvement stores (usually not in stock, but for order). It is lighter and stronger than solid plastic sheets, but still inexpensive. Polygal is a popular brand. They often offer a 10-year warranty against hail damage and yellowing. I just walked out of a new Lowes Foods who have recently been using it in the faces of their grocery store facades.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Polygal works great. I have used it many times in commercial applications. It is commonly used for roofing in Europe

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Check out Golden Rule Plastics in Haw River. They've always had, or been able to get, whatever I've been looking for, and they're good folks to work with.

--dave

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Check out EZ-Breeze windows, http://pgtezebreeze.com/ for a great system. You probably could design something similar your self. I had these installed in my screen porch 3 years ago, awesome investment, porch stays clean, especially in pollen season, and when it storms, porch stays dry. When I want to enjoy the breeze, I just slide windows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors