Source For Kiln Dried 4/4 Poplar In Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to build my new beaded inset face frame kitchen. Looking for a source of 4/4 kiln-dried Poplar. I prefer to most of my own milling, but dry is absolutely essential. It's for doors and face frames members. Probably need a few hundred board feet.

Big box 4S is way too expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You might check w/ any of the suppliers who advertise on the right side of this page or along the banner ad at the top. West Penn Hardwoods is probably the closest to you. Scott Smith (scsmith42) also has Poplar sometimes.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I recently purchased a 100bdft of 4/4 poplar from the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. I have ordered lumber for delivery in the past from them - sight unseen, and was very pleased with the quality. The poplar delivery was no different. Very little waste.

Not sure if this source is too far from you or not, but would recommend them highly.

Wayne

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Hey All,

I'm getting ready to build my new beaded inset face frame kitchen. Looking for a source of 4/4 kiln-dried Poplar. I prefer to most of my own milling, but dry is absolutely essential. It's for doors and face frames members. Probably need a few hundred board feet.

Big box 4S is way too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Might I suggest using soft maple instead? MUCH better to work with, stronger and more stable. Finishes much better too. Its only about $1/bf more but worth it!.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Queen City Lumber Co. 2501 Weddington Ave. 704-333-4136. They have a full stock of KD poplar & pine and use it extensively for mantles, door frames, & such.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just wondering how much is BORG poplar a Board Foot?

I just checked Manards and their poplar is a little $4.00 a board foot :( https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...boards/1-x-8-poplar-board/p-1444422748936.htm

Cherry is like $10.25 a board foot
http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...422061983-c-13115.htm?tid=3692687425454814487

But walnut is $18.37 a board foot - man... Walnut must be the "expensive" wood these days?
http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...422050907-c-13115.htm?tid=8951227757002944095

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
It's surfaced on 4 sides -- a 1x6 (actual 0.75 x 5.5 in) is $2.82 a linear foot.
Right... But you know 4/4 X 6 rough cut will dress the same 3/4 x 5 1/2. Sometimes it will dress out to13/16 or 7/8 depending on how thick 4/4 is actually cut at the sawmill.

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's surfaced on 4 sides -- a 1x6 (actual 0.75 x 5.5 in) is $2.82 a linear foot.

Not really apples and apples but a comparison point to consider. The piece above = 0.344 bf. About $8.20/bf. The Hardwood Store lists 4/4 poplar at about $3/bf and they'd mill it to S4S specifications for an additional $1/bf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors