Source for hardwood near Conway SC

edk

New User
Ed
[FONT=&amp]I am moving from Durham NC to Conway SC soon. While living in Durham I made my hardwood purchases from the Hardwood Store of North Carolina. It has been a great source for wood.
Is there any hardwood source near Conway SC that is comparable to the Hardwood Store of North Carolina?
[/FONT]

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have a great answer right off, but if you look in the downloads library there are links to wood reference -

you can try this: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12

There is an excel version and a PDF - there are (obviously) a lot of NC suppliers, but I saw some SC ones scattered in there too!
PLEASE if you find someone, let us know so the next person has the benefit of your searching!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
McKitrick Lumber, Camden, SC. Not much information on their website but you could call them or use their "contact us" form for information.

http://mckittricklumber.com

It's sure not easy or convenient to find hardwood lumber in SC! :BangHead:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I looked around in Mann when I was there getting my SawStop and they have more hardwood than they used to but the prices seems pretty high to me. But they are nearby so I will probably use them sometimes. They still don't have a lot of wood. What they sell is planned two sides. Last time I bought a little hardwood I went to Wurth near the airport in Charlotte. They are mostly plywood but they have some domestic hardwood too. Prices seem OK. You can pick out your boards and they will plane or cut to size for you (for a fee). I got a bunch of cherry from them previously and found some figured boards in their inventory. The guy that used to sell out of tent buildings in Columbia sorted the figured stuff and charged more for it. Not unfair but it's nice to find a "gem" in the pile too.

I think I will visit McKittrick sometime. Camden is closer for me. I've also driven up to NC for wood and gotten good material for fair prices.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have found similar problems in Anderson. Wurth seems to be the go to for cabinet makers in my area. When I built my cabinets, I drove back to NC Hardwoods with a trailer. However, that was for several hundred board feet and certainly is not practical for just going to get a board. I'm interested in what you find as well. Also, if you happen to stumble on anyone who has Palmetto lumber, I would like to try it.

CYarborough

New User
Coit
I forgot to mention (I always forget something) that there is a sawmill outside Summerville. They are really nice and will sell to the public. There is also a woodworking store in Summerville with a fair lumber inventory. Advantage is just over the state line in NC near King's Mountain. And there's always the road from Gastonia up to Penn wood in NC. That road has a few purveyors of lumber. I love making the trip up there and visiting those small mills! I'll have to check out the sawyer in Columbia. Coit

CYarborough

New User
Coit
Plan to spend an extra half hour and visit the site of the Battle of Camden. It's only a couple of miles from Mckiitrick, and always worth a visit. It's also just a short trip to Boykin, SC where there is a special place to eat. I'll stop there. I'm off topic. Coit

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Let us know what McKitrick is like Coit.

I’m curious if pricing will be similar to Mann given there is a lack of competition in Columbia and surrounding.

CYarborough

New User
Coit
I've been there a couple of times. Walnut was $8 or 9/bf, and I think Oak was 3 or 4 He has white or red oak. And he carries mahogany for $9bf. I may be mistaken, but that's the best I can remember. Good people. They let you go through the stack and pick what you want, and then he will discount a board if it is checked or split. McKitrick is a bit more generous than most about discounting the faults in the wood.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Just up the road in Burgaw, NC is Ivy Pridgen, Beaver Branch Sawmill. He has a kiln and in addition to cypress does other varieties as well. :wsmile:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS