Sound Samples - Bass build final assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well... it's done :)

P10101872.JPG

Now it's time to tool up - to make fretted finger boards.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Re: Bass build final assembly

cool beans miestroe! you keep it up you gonna be a strata-various! a bass strata-various at that!:-D hard to believe that started life as a ratty ol hunk of poplar.... nice work mr jeffrey.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

That's taking "music making" to another level! Nice work.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

cool beans miestroe! you keep it up you gonna be a strata-various! a bass strata-various at that!:-D hard to believe that started life as a ratty ol hunk of poplar.... nice work mr jeffrey.

Yeah that and the pretty hard maple you gave me for finger boards, which you can't admire from the profile pic.

P1010141.JPG

P1010142.JPG

P1010143.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

That turned out great. Can't wait to see the next one. :)

Dude your an enabler :slap: I still need to build a fretted neck for this one...

BUT... I've already got an 8 string drawn up. But I'm having a hard time locating a bridge that I like and is made in USA. I'm putting a call into hipshot today to see if they make the 8 string saddles for the ricky bridge.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

After finding time to do the final set it up (truss rods adjustment, string height and intonation) plus playing it for a couple hours, I'm convinced it was well worth the time and effort to build. Plus I developed a first I've ever seen neck / body joint.

This is my favorite shot - It's a good perspective how things line up on the center line all the way to the nut at the far end.

P1010192.JPG

I also want to say THANKS to:

FredP - for giving me some pretty QS hard maple for the fingerboards and for his shop time, flattening and band sawing the body top and bottom outline.

Sawduster - For buying 350 BF of red oak lumber from me which allowed me to have custom pickups made.

Mike Davis for buying 350 BF of sweet gum from me which allowed me to purchase the remaining parts and supplies for the rest of the guitar.

Thanks again guys - now I have a 100% made in USA awesome bass guitar that will never be sold and I will play for many years to come. When I get to old to play I'll pass it down to one of my kids.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Dude your an enabler :slap: I still need to build a fretted neck for this one...

BUT... I've already got an 8 string drawn up. But I'm having a hard time locating a bridge that I like and is made in USA. I'm putting a call into hipshot today to see if they make the 8 string saddles for the ricky bridge.

That's what I'm here for.. :) Someone's gotta do it..... :gar-La;

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Tasty tone for sure, Jeff. I like the F holes, and the head has a sort of Rickenbacker vibe. :cool:

dupont6480

New User
Tim

Beautiful work Jeff! A treasured family heirloom for sure. My son (who plays the Bass) would be envious!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Beautiful work Jeff! A treasured family heirloom for sure. My son (who plays the Bass) would be envious!!

Why don't you build him one? It's a lot of fun plus you get to tie wood working together with music - I mean what could be better than that?

Here's another favorite close up picture of the pickups - Picture taking is an art isn't it? sure is hard to snap a decent photo.

close_up_pups.JPG

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

My brother in law got me a "Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar" book for xmas since I play the guitar and do woodworking (both for fun). I have been woodworking for about 2 years and have about 7 or 8 projects under my belt. My first thought when I saw it was that there is no way in **** that I could tackle a project of that magnitude. It seems like building a guitar is a super advanced project. And the radius of the neck and placement of the frets had me especially worried. Any tips or advice? What was your first guitar building experience like?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

My brother in law got me a "Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar" book for xmas since I play the guitar and do woodworking (both for fun). I have been woodworking for about 2 years and have about 7 or 8 projects under my belt. My first thought when I saw it was that there is no way in **** that I could tackle a project of that magnitude. It seems like building a guitar is a super advanced project. And the radius of the neck and placement of the frets had me especially worried. Any tips or advice? What was your first guitar building experience like?

Ron, First of all, let me assure you if I can build a guitar anyone can. It just takes a LOT of time and finesse. I would like to encourage you to give it a try. Start with the neck and work your way into the body. Pull everything off the center line, that how you get everything square and lined up. Work the peg head angle anywhere from 6 ~ 13 degrees, this will keep enough downward pressure on the nut to keep it in place and enough downward pressure on the strings to help keep the neck back bow just right. But you got a truss rod in the neck to keep the neck straight. This one I built has 2 truss rods in the neck each located 1/4" off the center line to also help correct any slight twist or crook that may happen down the road. My neck started out as a 3" x 2 1/4" thick glue up. I used the thickness to back angle the peg head. Try and not be intimidated remember it's just wood. :gar-Bi

Put up a style and run with it - it's just wood, you'll make mistakes and learn it just means you'll do better on the next piece of wood.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I uploaded a sound sample here if you guys want to hear what the bass sounds like. The only file format this site would accept is a .wav file which is HUGE (hint: MP3 would be better guys). The bass is on the right channel and Rush is on the left channel. Use your balance to hear the bass better. You may want to turn your speakers down too, don't blame me if I wake the kids or rattle your speakers off the shelf :gar-La;. I havn't played this song in a long time and I'm not all practiced up, so there are mistakes - it's not supposed to be a talent show - it's a just simple sound sample.

Maaaa....wha to you

Thanks

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

I uploaded a sound sample here if you guys want to hear what the bass sounds like. The only file format this site would accept is a .wav file which is HUGE (hint: MP3 would be better guys). The bass is on the right channel and Rush is on the left channel. Use your balance to hear the bass better. You may want to turn your speakers down too, don't blame me if I wake the kids or rattle your speakers off the shelf :gar-La;. I havn't played this song in a long time and I'm not all practiced up, so there are mistakes - it's not supposed to be a talent show - it's a just simple sound sample.

Maaaa....wha to you

Thanks

You did good with that one. It sounds really good. I like that sound alot.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

You did good with that one. It sounds really good. I like that sound alot.

Thanks [strike]Enabler[/strike] cough... i mean Bro, that's the more darker side. The cable is run directly from the bass to the microphone jack on my computer. I also used one of my wife's cute scrunchies one the neck about midway between open and the first fret position to muff the sustain down. However I can also dial it in to be supper bright sounding.

bluthart

New User
Brian
Re: Sound Sample - Bass build final assembly

Ah - Lakeside Park from Caress of Steel (1975). Now you're talking my language. I have been known to hammer out whole Rush albums on my drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS