sound reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am finishing my new shop and after having my lungs and ears take a beating in my tiny basement shop in NJ my top priorities will be clean air and less noise. I plan to partition off the air compressor and DC but I want to deaden noise on some cabinets holding machinery. A recent BORG magazine rack glance showed an enclosure for a shop vac utilizing some highly overpriced felt appearing stuff. Has anyone used a less expensive material for sound proofing ? My thoughts were foam rubber (upholstery type foam ) or foam carpet padding. Methinks that the "eggcrate" style foam used in sound studios would be ideal but I have no clue on price or sources. Thoughts?

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Glenn,
I am currently building a closet for my clearvue dust collector. I found all the sites that sell sound proofing/absorbing material on the internet very expensive and the claims for actual sound reduction widely varying. I built my closet using 2 x 6 construction, 3/4 mdf, and r-19 insulation. It is still a work in progress but I have went from 100+ db to 85 db w/o the filters or piping being connected yet. I will try to post some pics when finished but it might be a few weeks from now as I am focusing on getting the shops ceiling put in at this time. You might want to check out the forums and picture gallery at clearvue cyclones. There has been a lot of discussion there on the subject and some great work in progress pics as well.
Mike

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
In some commercial applications we have to ovecome this - usually when a toilet is placed next to an office. We usually use metal studs but the principle would be the same:
1. Use a 2 x 6 shoe & top plate.
2. Stagger 2 x 3 or 2 x 4 studs on both sides of the shoe to achieve 8" o.c. with alternating studs lining up to nail to on each side.
3. Weave 3 - 1/2" unfaced batting horizontally between the studs.
This prevents the sound transmission through the stud itself.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for the info Mike, sounds like your closet is similar in design to what I am planning. I think it will serve my purposes well. I just finished my ceiling next step is the partition framing and the osb for the shop walls.:)

M

McRabbet

Glenn,
I am currently building a closet for my clearvue dust collector. I found all the sites that sell sound proofing/absorbing material on the internet very expensive and the claims for actual sound reduction widely varying. I built my closet using 2 x 6 construction, 3/4 mdf, and r-19 insulation. It is still a work in progress but I have went from 100+ db to 85 db w/o the filters or piping being connected yet. I will try to post some pics when finished but it might be a few weeks from now as I am focusing on getting the shops ceiling put in at this time. You might want to check out the forums and picture gallery at clearvue cyclones. There has been a lot of discussion there on the subject and some great work in progress pics as well.
Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the NC Woodworkers site from a fellow ClearVue owner. I urge you to post a new thread in the Who We Are forum and introduce yourself to the forum members -- we'd like to hear more about your interest in making (and collecting) all that sawdust! And many more people will see that thread.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
For enclosures, you could attach accoustic ceiling tile available anywhere and very cheap. Maybe even a double layer. It won't make thing sound "proof" but it will reduce noise.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark's idea about acoustical ceiling tile is good as long as it's in an area that isn't subject to physical abuse. There's a reason the goofoffs at offices can stick pencils in the stuff. It's usually soft and doesn't take abuse too well. Other than that, it is cheap and you might even find some scraps at a commercial building site for free to do what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS