Son's First Birthday Toybox - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
My son is turning one this week and I finished his new toy box just in time for his party this morning. The box is about 16.5"x17"x17.5" (lxwxh) with the 2.5" casters installed. The sides are 3/4" shop grade birch plywood and the top (including the fish) is 1/2" baltic birch. The fish comes out of the top like a puzzle piece so he can toss his toys in, hopefully it will make cleaning up fun, but I doubt it. Special thanks to Joe Scharle for providing the thin walnut I used to make the eyeball on the fish.

IMG_12982.JPG

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Neat!!!!:icon_thum

That is a really cool idea, Mike.

Being a boy, will he try and use it as a skateboard soon?:wsmile::wsmile:

Hope you guys have a great party.

Wayne

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
That will help keep the toys off the floor,looks great.Now to get him to put the toys in the box is another task.
Tony

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Pretty cool, Mike. :eusa_clap Did you happen to get a picture of the look on his face when he first saw it? That would be priceless.

Bill

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Mike. I like the wood under the edge of the top, to keep the tike from jabbing himself ( or worse, damaging the box :slap:).

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking project, but for a young child I think I would softly round the corners for safety. Just my two cent worth.

Last edited:

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
That is one very nice toy box!

Very unique... I'm sure he will like it...

May you both get wonderful enjoyment from it!

Thank you for showing.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Neat!!!!:icon_thum

That is a really cool idea, Mike.

Being a boy, will he try and use it as a skateboard soon?:wsmile::wsmile:

Hope you guys have a great party.

Wayne

Thanks, I can't take complete credit for the idea I saw a similar puzzle piece toybox on Etsy once, and that kind of inspired this. I have a renewed appreciation for those that make jigsaw puzzles after this really simple project. And I'm thinking he'll end up using it for street luging with his buddies when he's older, he's a boy after all :)

Pretty cool, Mike. :eusa_clap Did you happen to get a picture of the look on his face when he first saw it? That would be priceless.

Bill

Here you go, Bill. He kept banging on it like a drum, something he typically does when he's excited.

Great looking project, but for a young child I think I would softly round the corners for safety. Just my two cent worth.

Great suggestion Tracy, I protected the inside edges and completely forgot about those I'll see if I can't steal it away from him tomorrow and soften them down a little bit.

That is one very nice toy box!

Very unique... I'm sure he will like it...

May you both get wonderful enjoyment from it!

Thank you for showing.

My pleasure, thanks!

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Looks like he can fit inside of it... while playing "Hide & Seek" (they still play that game?)... :rotflm:

Yep... gotta smooth those edges so he doesn't get scratched up too much climbing in & out of it! :rotflm:

Nice boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS