Sometimes the tool is the project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I'd assumed just some other type of steel given the heft to it, but it was just corroded/oxidized looking rather than rusted like the rest of the steel parts; aluminum would explain that. Guess I'll need to find a magnet to check. If aluminum polishes up this easily, I'm going to be doing a lot more polishing on any future CNCs I build I guess :)
Yes, that is what made me think of it - Aluminum polishes easily with a little buffing.
But all in all, I think the wheel looks good too...you could always have it nickle plated... but then that could add a lot of cost...

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Careful, Matt. You may get it looking so good you won't wanna let it get dusty & dirty again! :eusa_danc

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt you went the wrong direction - oil based battleship gray - the thickness covers cracks and after three months (unless on your hands - 15 seconds) drys to a high gloss finish and is only reapplied in case of a "learning event!" (ask any [strike]Seaman[/strike] mariner.):cool:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nevertheless, I hope you will continue in your endeavors to refurbish your lathe. I have found it is one of my shortcomings to be both impatient and procrastinative. As a result, whenever I acquire such a tool or project, I put enough energies into it to make it useable, saying to myself, "I'll come back and redo this later." Later never gets here, and I end up with something, although it works just fine, is less than ideal. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll have a lathe to be proud of. :icon_thum

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
Finally had the necessary combination of free time and sunny weather to do a bit more work on this. Finished wire brushing the main beam, and got it, the legs, headstock, and a couple of the small parts primed with 2k epoxy primer. I've still got a few more small pieces to wire brush and prime, but the trial run on the big stuff went well. A few runs I'll have to sand out, and a lot of bondo work to go if I want things nice and smooth, but went uneventfully at least. Figure I'll stop at HF in the next couple days and grab a couple more spray guns - given the cost of their cheap HVLP guns, vs the time and the cost of thinner for 2k epoxy and paint, easier to just treat them as disposable.

priming.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS