Something happened with my jointer...

ste6168

New User
Mike
Not sure what happened, but my jointers big brother showed up to the shop this morning!

When I first wen't and looked at this machine on Thursday, I thought: "eh, its really not THAT much bigger than the 6" jointer." When I got home with it this morning, side-by-side, it honestly makes the 6" machine look like a toy. Found this gem through Facebook Marketplace. 8" jointer, 66" beds, made in Taiwan (1998) and branded as a North State. I cleaned it up a bit when I got home, waxed the beds, and its ready to be put into service... once I get a 220v circuit.

Jointer 1.jpgJointer 2.jpgIMG_4316.jpg

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you use a Jointer for? I understand that it is used to make a straight edge on a board, and I am thinking you would be able to use those boards side-by-side to make a table or something. Is that correct? Doesn't a table saw do the same thing? (Please note that I have neither used or owned a jointer and have only used a table saw a few times)

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you use a Jointer for? I understand that it is used to make a straight edge on a board, and I am thinking you would be able to use those boards side-by-side to make a table or something. Is that correct? Doesn't a table saw do the same thing? (Please note that I have neither used or owned a jointer and have only used a table saw a few times)

The jointer can be used to put a straight edge on the edges of boards just as you described. There are ways to accomplish the same thing on the tablesaw, generally referred to as "straight line ripping". Another big use of the jointer is to flatten the face of a board (as opposed to the edge). That operation would be very tough and likely dangerous to try and pull off on the table saw.

The jointer, planer and tablesaw are all used together to take rough lumber and make it flat and square on all surfaces, many times called S4S.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
The jointer can be used to put a straight edge on the edges of boards just as you described. There are ways to accomplish the same thing on the tablesaw, generally referred to as "straight line ripping". Another big use of the jointer is to flatten the face of a board (as opposed to the edge). That operation would be very tough and likely dangerous to try and pull off on the table saw.

The jointer, planer and tablesaw are all used together to take rough lumber and make it flat and square on all surfaces, many times called S4S.
Thank you.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have the same Jet jointer, same color, same vintage. Now I'll suffer from feelings of inadequacy every time I go to use it! Very nice score Mike, I'm sure you're really gonna appreciate that increased capacity.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Thanks guys. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! I am not sure when I will actually get to use it. I need to build a shed first, to get the bikes and lawn equipment out, then plan to have a sub-panel put in with a 220v circuit or two.

ste6168

New User
Mike
..and how many guys did it take to get that beast out of the truck?

Nice machine.

We used a trailer. 3 of us to get it in, 2 to unload. We slid it down the ramp, right onto the furniture dolly. I will more than likely keep it in that, until I can get a mobile base for it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS