Something Different? or My Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Was: When I logged on I would click on "New Posts". I could read any thread and when I hit the 'Back' button went back to the same list of posts that were there when I first logged on and went to 'New Posts' (including the thread I had just read).

Now: When I log on and click on "New Posts" I go to the list and whenever I read a thread and click on the 'Back' button, that thread is gone and only the threads I have not read are showing.

It appears that whenever I read a thread now, it automatically goes away from the listing of 'New Posts'. Is this a change in the system (as of sometime today - between 9:30 and 3:00) or did my computer start something on its own?

George

gator

George
Corporate Member
When I finished posting the message above, I clicked on 'New Posts', read a thread and then clicked 'Back'. The thread now stays. My computer must be doing strange things. Before, it happened at least five times which is why I posted the question.

George

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
George, I have been doing the back thing for the past two days without issues so I agree, sounds like something with your computers temporary internet files.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
When I finished posting the message above, I clicked on 'New Posts', read a thread and then clicked 'Back'. The thread now stays. My computer must be doing strange things. Before, it happened at least five times which is why I posted the question.

George
George, I don't doubt it happened.

When you click "Back", your browser is supposed to use a cached version of the page, which meant the post you just read should still show up in the list. Only if you reload the page should the link disappear from the New Post list. It sounds like your browser wasn't using the cache. That can happen for two reasons. Either you've set up your browser to not cache pages (unlikely), or the NCWW site told the browser not to use a cached version. I suspect the latter. This lack-of-caching may be caused by an advertisement banner.

The problem seems to be fixed, which is good, but please post if it resurfaces, and we'll dig into it.

M

McRabbet

George,

If you open a link in one of the new posts you are reading and then return to the Index page using the Back button, it may reset the Index page to show the threads that you have already read in non-bold (normal) text, while the unread threads stay in bold text. That is a normal occurence for me as the cached copy is updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS