Some thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We had a great workshop Saturday.

Someone said it must be discouraging when 14 people sign up for a class and only 4 are actually there.

But honestly, I would do it for one person. I have never cancelled a class because there were not enough people.

And that one guy, the one that is new to hand tools, new to planes, new to sharpening and totally got it. Left grinning, left understanding what to do and how to do it, left with super sharp tools and the skills to keep his tools sharp, that guy...

He said he has watched utube over and over but some things you just can’t get from a video. You can’t feel the wire edge, you can’t get immediate feed back and change hand position, you can’t try different jigs and see the difference they make, you can’t feel the difference wax on the plane sole makes, you can’t try concave/flat/convex edges all on the same blade within a few minutes and realize they are all the same from the woods point of view.

Yep, a great workshop.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
sounds to me like a light turnout but a great day overall! Every so often when you're teaching someone something new and they get it...you can see it in their face and reaction! Love those moments!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
It is a shame that folks miss these golden opportunities to learn the subtleties of getting and keeping an edge sharp. I know Mike is a good instructor and I'm sure everyone that did attend walked away with lots more knowledge. Kudos to Mike and Bill for another workshop -- I didn't come to this one because I am already fairly proficient with keeping an edge sharp, plus I made the 6-hour round trip just two weeks ago. Shame on those that didn't show up -- it was your loss.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wonder how many of those that did not show up had made the donation. I know that if I had paid for the class, I would be there.

As a host, it would be very upsetting to me if folks did not show up. I spend many hours and $ getting ready for workshops. I am lucky that I have had very few not show up.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We just finished Vacation Bible School on Friday. We had about 1/2 the number we had planned for. Yes it was disappointing then but we realized it was better to have a smaller number and reach 5-6 then a large group and reach none. Mike I know you made a difference in all who attended.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Maybe payment should be a week in advance. Sure, things happen that cause you to cancel, but taking someone's spot, not showing, and not paying is not cool. If you have to cancel, and you can get someone to take your spot, you should get a refund.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Some workshops I have seen on here I haven't signed up for because I thought they were full and I had missed the opportunity to sign up. A little disappointing I would have liked to been there as well.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Some workshops I have seen on here I haven't signed up for because I thought they were full and I had missed the opportunity to sign up. A little disappointing I would have liked to been there as well.
Always ask. Always try. What’s the worse that can happen? Better to try than miss out.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If 2-3 people want to learn sharpening I'm open to having a workshop at my place. Much easier for me if I don't have to drive somewhere. But, I don't have much room so only 2-3 at most.

badger fan

Bruce
User
Mike,
Thank you for your generosity of time and knowledge to help us all. I had really wanted to attend the class at Bill's place but family issues popped up. I would love to take you up on the offer of another sharpening class at your place even though it is a 2 hour drive for me. It will be worth it. I will IM you to see what your schedule will allow for potential dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS