Some recent pens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Here's some recent pens I'ev done. Feel free to let me know what you think.

Magnetic Vertex - Bethlehem Olivewood -
DSCN1689.jpg

Majestic Jr - Spalted Maple -
DSCN1646.jpg

Are Deco - Teak Burl -
DSCN1645.jpg

Cigar - Amboyna Burl -
DSCN1638.jpg

Vertex - Antler -
DSCN1634.jpg

Cartridge - Antler -
DSCN1631.jpg

Slimline - Antique pine -
DSCN1662.jpg

Slimline - Antique Pine -
DSCN1661.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like antique heart pine for pens. I usually leave them polished with no finish so the scent can be enjoyed as well as the wood pattern.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I've found that the pine is so dry that it absorbs the oils from your skin and gets dirty looking if I don't put a CA finish on them. The first pine pens I made just had crystal coat for a finish and got dirty looking pretty quick.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Adam the pens look great! Have you ever had the CA finish cloud up on you? I've done quite a few pens with CA and every once in a while I get some clouding in it. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it. Do you use accelerant when you use CA?

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
The only time I've had problems with the CA clouding was from moisture. I sanded through the CA while wet sanding with micromesh, and then tried to go back with more CA without giving it time to dry. I imagiane that high moisture wood would cause clouding if you let the CA get hot while polishing it. I do use accelerator. I put a few drops of thin ca on a folder paper towel and wipe it across the wood with the lathe turning ~8-900 rpm. I do this three times, then hit it with accelerator. I repeat this process until I have 15 - 21 coats of thin CA. Then I wet sand through all of the micromesh pads up to 12,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors