Some Of My Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Friend of mine wanted to see pictures of my latest banks. I wanted to ake pictures of them for printing out and putting in a folder anyway, so decided the quickest, and simplest, way of sending him pictures was on a web page. Then figured as long as I had pictures, I'd post it here. Not exactly museum quality, but I figure they're at least a few steps above yard "art", but they're relaxing to make, kids tend to like them, and doing them keeps me off the street and out of the pool halls. The grand-dau is definitely happy with her two. You can read the bit of background at the top, or just skip down to the pictures. After typings it, then reading it, I'd just skip over it.. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/BANKINVENTORY/

JOAT

New User
Theo
Those would make lots of children happy!

Yep, and it'd make me lots happy if I could sell mor of them. But I get soo irritated by most sales types, hat it is really irritating to me that I have to be one. If you find anyone that will come here, hand me a lot of money, and take them away, then repeat when I have more made, send them along. Did I mention that I don't care for sales people? Eh, I'll get it all sorted out one day.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Heck Theo, the banks made me smile and I'm not a kid . . . really :icon_thum

Very original and creative, thanks for sharing.

Roger

JOAT

New User
Theo
Heck Theo, the banks made me smile and I'm not a kid . . . really :icon_thum
Very original and creative, thanks for sharing.
Roger

Hey, you're 5 years younger than me, kid. Thanks. Simple to make, more or less, including the figures there's 16 (sixteen) separate pieces in each one. The painting can be time consuming, but it's relaxing. And remember, if it ain't got a pig, it ain't a piggy bank.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Thanks guys. I'm working on more pigs. And a year ago my dau-in-law and grand-dau wanted an angel, and I finally figure out how to do one I like last saturday. So there'll be an angel bank, sooner or later, too.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Hey Joat!

Cute lil things you got going there!

One think that would help; at least for me, it would.

Have two (maybe more) pictures of each bank:
1. Full figure... as you have now.
2. With lid off or something that shows how the Money gets into it... and out of it...

Maybe an isometric view would help... to get a better picture of 3D, ideas of width & thickness.

IMHO, it's hard to have too many pictures. :gar-Bi

Shipping cost?
USPS has a nice deal on their One Rate boxes... like $8.95 (about)... if it can go into the box, it can be shipped anywhere in the 48 states for the same fixed rate. Saves a lot of time, fuss, & muss..

What kind of paints do you use?
Final finish coat?

Thank you!

JOAT

New User
Theo
Hey Joat!

Cute lil things you got going there!

One think that would help; at least for me, it would.

Have two (maybe more) pictures of each bank:
1. Full figure... as you have now.
2. With lid off or something that shows how the Money gets into it... and out of it...

Maybe an isometric view would help... to get a better picture of 3D, ideas of width & thickness.

IMHO, it's hard to have too many pictures. :gar-Bi

Shipping cost?
USPS has a nice deal on their One Rate boxes... like $8.95 (about)... if it can go into the box, it can be shipped anywhere in the 48 states for the same fixed rate. Saves a lot of time, fuss, & muss..

What kind of paints do you use?
Final finish coat?

Thank you!

Dunno as I'd call them 'cute', but on the other hand I'm not a cutsie type of guy. TWO pictures of each? Ha, you're lucky to get one picture of each. Isometric views? Not happiening. Width? Width of what? The money box is 5", the figures vary. Somee of the measurements are down to 1/64", possibly even less, in a few areas. Might not look it, but each bank normally has 15 individual wooden pieces, not including the figure, which takes it up to 16. Depending on individual figure designs, some future banks may contain 1 or 2 additional pieces. You're welcome to monkey copy the money boxes, but not the figures - the figures are all my work and at this time I do not care to shame em indiscriminately.

Yep, I know about the USPS shipping. However, some of the pictured banks are just a shade too tall to fit in those boxes. My present banks are all resized to fit them and take full advantage of the $8.95 fee, and as you said, no muss, no fuss, which is exactly why I resized my banks.

With the exception of my in progress cigar store Indian bank that is. At about 5' tall, those can't be maile, and will have to be picked up locally, or shipped UPS or FedEx, or something. That's still a work in progress and still waiting to take pictures.

Info on the paint, finishes, and pictures, have just been added to the link. Just scroll down. I'll probably be adding a few other pictures, when I get around to taking them. And, in case I didn't say, I normally use 1/2" plywood for my banks. Hmm, just occurred to me that the cigar store Indian will be sinding up with a few extra piecs also. Still working out the money box changes out - enlarging them isn't just a simple matter of changing a few measurements - seldom is.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
OK Joat,

I was just trying to help you SELL more by making a few suggestions.

Right now, with only the pictures you have, I have no idea how the Banks work, where & how money is inserted or removed.

edit:
I just looked back to your Page for the changes you made... Found the pics toward the end of the money boxes mounted to the Fronts, etc. LOOKS A LOT BETTER! That one set of three pics, that also shows the back, would be better way up front... that way, it shows the full operation First so one does not have to wonder about it (or possibly give-up looking before getting to it at the end).
/edit:

Just trying to help you...

Good LUCK! :gar-Bi

JOAT

New User
Theo
OK Joat,

I was just trying to help you SELL more by making a few suggestions.

Right now, with only the pictures you have, I have no idea how the Banks work, where & how money is inserted or removed.

Just trying to help you...

Good LUCK! :gar-Bi

Ah, you should have said. I'm not pshing selling them much because I'm protyping. Once I do get things just the way I want I'll be taking better quality pictures, but like I said, a friend wanted pictures, so that was the quickest and easiest way to do it.

I would have thought the latest pictures would have explained well enough how the banks work. You put a coin in the top of the coin chute. It falls down into the body of the money box. To take coins out you remove the 'key' at the back of the money box, then you can tip the back piece out, and shake the money out. Simple. While I'm prototyping, making changes, and coming up with more designs, I'm doing my selling homework too - which is how I know about the USPS shipping boxes, and why my new banks will now fit in them. I don't depend much on luck, it always seems to be out when you need it the most. I rely on the Woodworking Gods instead.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Those would make lots of children happy!

That's a pretty good idea, and I just realized how close it is to the holidays. I'm not terifficly PC, so normally I'd say Christmas, except don't care what religion you are, the holidays are all around this time. So, if any of you guys out there know some needy kids that these can be donated to for Christmas, Ramadan, Quanza (?), The Feast of The Woodworking Gods (of course that one is anytime they feel like one), get back with me and I can meet you in Clayton and hand them over. I've got about 15 of them just not. This offer does NOT include the two tall banks by the way. I want them spread out as much as possible, so I'll limit them to 2 per person until they're gone. Any one interested send me a private message. First come, first serve. That should work.

JOAT

New User
Theo
OK, I guess then I need more pig designs, for more "piggy" banks. So I've been perusing pig pictures. And it's working. I've already been inspired by the pig pictures, got inspiration for a Teddy Eear and a cat already. And as far as a pig goes, ran across a bear picture that inspired me for a pig design. This is working quite well so far.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
That's a pretty good idea, and I just realized how close it is to the holidays. I'm not terifficly PC, so normally I'd say Christmas, except don't care what religion you are, the holidays are all around this time. So, if any of you guys out there know some needy kids that these can be donated to for Christmas, Ramadan, Quanza (?), The Feast of The Woodworking Gods (of course that one is anytime they feel like one), get back with me and I can meet you in Clayton and hand them over. I've got about 15 of them just not. This offer does NOT include the two tall banks by the way. I want them spread out as much as possible, so I'll limit them to 2 per person until they're gone. Any one interested send me a private message. First come, first serve. That should work.

Check with your Fire Dept. or Police Dept. ... many of them, in our area collect and distribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS