Some Inprogress Pics (Oak Kitchen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I figured it is about time to share some pics of the kitchen I've been wrapping up. The upper cabinets are complete and already at the job site so I just have a few pics of the base cabinets to let you see my cabinet work.

Master Bath Cabinet
masterbthcabover.jpg

Base Cabinet No. 1
basecab1.jpg

Drawer Detail - Bathroom cabinets got the normal full extensions. The kitchen cabinets got the upgraded slides.
drawerdetail.jpg

drawslidedetail.jpg

Example of my grain matching. If a customer finds a glue line in my raised panels I've failed to do what I set out to do.
grainmatchdoor.jpg

cathedraldoor.jpg

Custom Resawn Veneers for the Master Bath Cabinet - Applied now, but not in the pics.
masterbthendpanels.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

John

Last edited:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Nice work, the cabinets look great. Do you finish your raised panels prior to adding the frame?

woodguy1975

New User
John
I prestain them, but don't finish them. After assembly the doors go through my drum sander and are sanded flat. I usually remove the stain from the field of the raised panel and restain it when I stain the frame. Prestaining the panel ensures I have stain all the way out to the edges.

I purposely size my doors on the narrow side to avoid expansion and contraction issues as well.

Thanks,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome, John!!!! You actually do something with all those tools:lol: :lol: :lol: That looks like a very professional job. Better than many I have seen, your drawer DT are top notch.

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice work John, hope the recipient appreciates the attention to detail as much as I do. :icon_thum

Sapwood

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice work, do you charge extra for the DT drawers or is that just part of the package? Either way, at least the client gets something they can use for many years to come.

MIke

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow.......those cabinets look great John.:icon_thum I really like the edge detail you put on all of the doors and drawer faces. Did you use a shaper to cut the profiles? How many passes did it take to reach the final profile?

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
mshel said:
Very nice work, do you charge extra for the DT drawers or is that just part of the package? Either way, at least the client gets something they can use for many years to come.

MIke
There are a few things I will always do as standard. Solid wood dovetail drawers is one of them. It is one of those, won't compromise myself, things. My reputation in my area is built around my above and beyond quality. I typically charge about 5-10% more than most around here, but upgraded hardware, plywood, and drawers are all part of the package. :)

Thanks,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
That profile was routed because I don't have my shaper up and going yet. I actually ran it in one pass sort of. I climb milled about 75% of it and then routed the peice. That minimized my tearout. Two passes is definitely perferred, but I had so many to do I opted for one pass with the extra climb mill operation. Saves me moving a fence and re running all the peices.

The customer actually chose all the profiles. I gave him a catalog and said choose. I wasn't sure when he chose but when I routed it and had it in my hands I really liked the profile.

Thanks,

John

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Hey, I see a glue line in that panel!!!!!:lol:

Excellent work John, they should be well pleased with your work.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
John, can you shead a little light on how you did the custom resawn veneer for your end panels?

masterbthendpanels.jpg

1) How thick did you cut your veneer?

2) Did you cut it all out of one piece of stock?

3) What did you use for the substrate to adhere the veneer to?

BTW, great job on the grain matching on the door panels and for the rest of the cabinets as well.

D L

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, can you shead a little light on how you did the custom resawn veneer for your end panels?
Sure.

1) How thick did you cut your veneer?
I resawed the veneer to right at 1/8" and then drum sanded the veneers smooth

2) Did you cut it all out of one piece of stock?
Each panel is from teh same board. They are all bookmatched so the grain matches. Once I had the resawn I edge glued the sheets into panels using masking tape and a caul to hold them flat until the glue dried. If you stretch the masking tape slighting as you put it across the joint it provides plenty of clamping pressure to glue the veneers together. Once The panels were all glued up I drum sanded them flat. They are 3/32 of an inch thick at this point.

3) What did you use for the substrate to adhere the veneer to?
I applied the panels to 1/4 baltic birch plywood with plastic resin glue. PRG prevents creep and dries hard as glass. I always use it when I veneer. Once the glue was dried I ran the panels through the drum sander again. This reduced the thickness of the veneers to 1/16" of an inch and made the pane the correct thickness to match up with my face frames.

BTW, great job on the grain matching on the door panels and for the rest of the cabinets as well.
Thanks for the compliments DL.

I took some pics of the panels installed and the ends to show you guys the construction, but left my compact flash card reader at work so it will have to wait till Monday. :(

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
The one last thing I should have mentioned.....

After the panel is stained and sprayed I attached it to the carcass with contact cement after doing a little scribe work to get a perfect fit to the cabinet.

Thanks,

John

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Boy! Whoever is receiving these cabinets is a very fortunate dude!

What did you use for the DT drawers? have looking at a DT jig and really at a loss as to the best choice. (I use a 2 1/4 HP Dewalt router.)

Great work John!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS