Some Ideas For The Burial Urn Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member

After looking over the FREE BURIAL URNS FOR VETERANS web site, we could glean some ideas for our project. I will point out in my correspondence with Dan, they are located in MN, and have had to limit their outreach to their area.

www.freeurnsforveterans.org

1. They rely on donations, and state so in their brochures and the web site. This is something we should really consider, as it's unfair to keep asking different wood providers to supply us free. The donation box is a great idea, but the concept could really be expanded.
2. Their brochures are well put together, and again, beside explaining the how's and whys, ask for donations.
3. They make a presence at various functions throughout their area. We could look at various Veteran's organizations having meetings and conferences in NC, and make our presence there.
4. They make a very nice engraved plate with the veteran's information on it, but I personally feel our present set up is excellent, and needs no changes.

Those of you who have checked out their web site, please share your thoughts regarding our project. It has been slower than I had anticipated, but I believe that it is because the deceased veterans' families are unaware of the project. It makes me very happy to learn of other organizations and groups that are doing the same thing as we are. It's a really great project.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Their website is well done. I agree that our urns and emblem is more than sufficient and doesn't need to be changed. We can drive this thing to as large as we want it to be by promoting it to the various veteran organizations. Let's be sure we don't "oversell and under deliver" due to overtaxing the generosity of our members and donors. I am amenable to whatever the organization decides is best and will do my best to support the project.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
We need to solicit donations in other areas besides our events. Any ideas?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
We need to solicit donations in other areas besides our events. Any ideas?

Bring in outside groups for sessions on making them, like the boy scouts and girl scouts. 1 day of woodworking where they knock out some urns and help raise funds for the project.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is there a way to ad a selection button to our menu bar at the top of the page that might say "Request Burial Urn" ? That button takes the visitor to an information page about our program and provides them with a way to request a burial urn for a vet by filling in some basic information that is send to members of the project.

I have tried contacting the Charlotte Observer and have not been very successful in getting through to anyone who would give me some feedback, positive or negative. I have contacted the various offices US and State Veterans Affairs Offices in Charlotte with equal response, and that has taken me by surprise that they don't want to talk about this effort.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
A selection button at the top of the page is an excellent suggestion considering the pdf requests folks to go to our website

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Is there a way to ad a selection button to our menu bar at the top of the page that might say "Request Burial Urn" ? That button takes the visitor to an information page about our program and provides them with a way to request a burial urn for a vet by filling in some basic information that is send to members of the project.

I have tried contacting the Charlotte Observer and have not been very successful in getting through to anyone who would give me some feedback, positive or negative. I have contacted the various offices US and State Veterans Affairs Offices in Charlotte with equal response, and that has taken me by surprise that they don't want to talk about this effort.

Raymond, I am learning, as an officer in the local legion post, that most officers, from the local post, all the way to the National Administration, all seem to have a favorite project they want to promote as their own, that gives them publicity, and helps to lift them ever higher in hierarchy. What is needed is to find a State level officer, and let him/her own the project as their own. I don't care if they take credit for winning the war single handed, as long as they promote this project to the ranks. I will keep trying on my end, but even as even as Post Chaplain, it is hard to get a word with the people in my post that can help. It is a sad truism of life I reckon. And when it comes to Government employees, sometimes they are very reluctant to act without a directive from higher up. CYA thing most likely.
As far as overselling this project, if there are those that believe we are doing it, I can back down. Whatever is best for the organization.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bruce, did you make me an admin for the facebook page? Having trouble posting to it.

:icon_scra

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Bring in outside groups for sessions on making them, like the boy scouts and girl scouts. 1 day of woodworking where they knock out some urns and help raise funds for the project.

What about seeking support from some local Rotary groups? Many fund various patriotic projects during the year. We got our local group to help fund our Fallen Firefighters Memorial, they bought the flag pole. NCWW Members could bring a sample urn and make a presentation to the group, if the group doesn't fund, maybe a Rotary member decides they will help on their own.

Last edited:

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
How about a small display for those of us who do craft shows. It could be as simple as a display urn, small poster, and a bunch of business cards for interested folks to grab as they go by.

ck1999

Chris
User
I opened the thread and read through comments. A few things I noticed. If current brochure is referencing this website it needs to appear or show up on main page. I couldn't even find the flyer even after searching in search bar and going through previous threads located under similar threads. It may be where this site should just buy a domain just for this. Since we already have hosting, a domain should be minimal in cost.

Also if someone could post link to brochure in this thread and for that matter every thread dealing with urn, so if someone comes upon these threads they can see the brochure.

As far as accepting donations you need to make it easy for people to donate. Either with a donate for urn button a PayPal account, a gofundme page with link. But something easy to find and easy to do.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors