Some have project plans in their head, some ......

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
This is what happens when I try and wing it.

It all goes fine and dandy.......... until it doesn't

The worst part is, I remember thinking about this very issue. That thought was nowhere to be found when it mattered though. At least it is a straight forward fix.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Been there, done it! Once I built a set of cubbies for local "Y." Only way to get them through door opening was to remove base, and then use a broom handle as a roller. Actually used the handle from a toilet plunger. You should have seen look on helpers face when I came back from truck with plunger. I guess he thought I was going to do like in the cartoons and use plunger to pull cubbies through the door opening. Nice thing about your problem, actually a great chance to show off your problem solving skills, are pieces of edge banding aren't nailed on.

ste6168

New User
Mike
Yeah, not sure this is a side-effect from winging it, or just "unforeseen issues," as I like to refer to them. I built a storage cabinet for our laundry room recently, wanted to build it in one piece (instead of two cabinets) to make it easier... Comes time to install, and it was about 1/4" to wide to fit into the opening without removing the door trim. To make it worse, the room was JUST PAINTED. Fun times.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Feather in your cap for winging it, now make that minor adjustment and enjoy your new drill press cabinet.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Primary challenge is solving obstacles. It's nice to get a little experience and avoid a lot of them but I don't have enough experience to avoid nearly all.

I also like working wood better than working on cars because the worst that can happen is I go get another piece of wood.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
So are you going to grind a little off the column so the top will fit? :D

I bet its the change in seasons and the extra humidity made the post on the drill press swell.... :p

It seems like we are accumulating evidence that the column is in fact the issue. Now to bust out the grinder. :eek:

Yeah, not sure this is a side-effect from winging it, or just "unforeseen issues," as I like to refer to them.

I would feel better if that was the case. It was foreseen, thought about, then subsequently forgotten.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
My simple fix isn't going so well......

I decided to use a jig saw with a straight edge to make these cuts so I didn't have to worry about the curvature of the tablesaw blade. My first attempt results in a cut that became less and less square (in the vertical direction) as the cut progressed. I figured that I let the jig saw tip as I made the cut. Moved my line over a bit and made a new cut, it seemed to go well. Did the same thing on the other side and it also seemed to go well, until I noticed the offcut looked odd. Put a square on the cut and this is what I see:

The cut started off pretty square and then got worse as the cut progressed. Multiple times in a row now.

The other side is just as bad with the error in the same direction

It seems like this is conceptually similar to a having blade drift on a bandsaw when using the rip fence. I suspect that the line that the blade wants to cut to is not parallel to the edge of the jigsaw. I'll have to figure out how to adjust that.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Jeremy I hope you never come to my shop. I am pretty sure you might leave early. Its not very clean. I think you fall in the "Charlie platoon" for being neat and orderly.

Cut the slot and get something going. Good Luck

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Look at this mess. :eek: :)

Those shavings on the floor don't bother me at all. I can leave them there as long as I want to.

I don't even notice them. Not at all......

I don't even feel them when I step on them........

The broom and vacuum just happened to be close by ......

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Some of y’all would faint, throw up, have convulsions, call me bad names... so I’m not posting photos of my shop today.

And I would really like to show some progress shots of my dust collector modifications.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm confused, was there a problem to solve?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
The jigsaw does have "drift" which makes running the base (which isn't parallel to the cut-line) against a reference surface an issue.

This is the equivalent of adjusting for blade drift on a stationary bandsaw.

Ideally the cut line would be perfectly parallel to the drawn line at the end of the cut. Close enough.

The pencil line above shows the edges of the jigsaw base.

You can visually see the drift angle in the photo above. The jigsaw is attached with double edge tape.

I was ready to cut the piece of plywood clamped to the edge of the bench with my drift angle adjusted base.

And...... the blade wasn't long enough to go through the plywood and the base. About 1/16" too short. It almost made it. That got me looking at the blade, it was a high TPI blade (didn't want tear out) and when I looked it up, it was a "scrolling blade". I thought that may be the issue. Tried it with a wider blade that isn't made for tight turns and had the same exact issue. I have not tried the wider blade with the drift adjusted. So that was a big let down......

Eventually I fell back on a suggestion from @farmerbw of using a router and a flush trim bit. That worked very well, first try right out of the gate, no nonsense, no fuss.

Painters tape and super glue in place of double sided tape. This was the first time I tried this. It worked well and was easy to remove without damaging the veneer.

Hooray.

Now to attach the edge banding....... Again......

A little extra material was needed for this little piece of edge banding to compensate for errors.

Last two pieces in the clamps.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS