Some fun stuff turned over the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Here are a couple of projects turned from a splated holly log that Roger (sapwood) gave me at last years picnic. The toothpick dispenser was a fun project and works well. It is about 4 1/2" tall by about 2 3/4" max dia. Finish is a friction polish.

The bowl is about 7" dia and about 5" tall. Finish is Claphams beeswax.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
love the pick holder! nice work. I may steal er um borrow that design....:gar-Bi

dpsnyder

Dan
Corporate Member
great looking toothpick holder. I like the design. The wood looks great. I haven't had a chance to try mine yet.

Dan

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice work as usual, David!

I too like the design of the toothpick holder...:icon_thum Is it your own?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
David, is there anything that you can do "Spot On"? Awesome, I really like the tooth pick holder, the lid is just right!

Dave:)

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Nice job on both the bowl and toothpick holder, but then I wouldn't expect any different from you. Trying to get all that wood used up before you move I see.

Bob

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Beautiful David,

Love the Tooth pic holder alot. And the bowl is very beautiful too.

How was it to turn the holy? I just got a Holly log and made 4 bowl blanks out of it, it's still a little wet probably 23% or more. How dry was yours before you turned it?

Thanks for sharing~!

DavidF

New User
David
love the pick holder! nice work. I may steal er um borrow that design....:gar-Bi

Go for it. The internal dims are quite important so that the toothpicks can be loaded easily and the depth of the "bucket" needs to be just the right height so that the picks don't fall out when the bucket is lifted all the way out, but not too hight that they don't splay out far enough to grab.

FYI, this one is 90mm from the very top of the base to the bottom of the hole.
The bucket is 20mm internal depth with a 4mm floor.
The inside dim of the bucket is 25mm
The hole is 31mm dia
There is about 20mm between the top of the pick and the underside of the lid

There you have it!

DavidF

New User
David
Nice work as usual, David!

I too like the design of the toothpick holder...:icon_thum Is it your own?

Concept no, the design and dims yes. I seem to remember seeing something like this in "Mad Men" dispensing cigarettes in the 60's!!!

DavidF

New User
David
David, is there anything that you can do "Spot On"? Awesome, I really like the tooth pick holder, the lid is just right!

Dave:)

Thanks Dave, I did agonize over the lid and nearly changed it even after I had applied the finish, I was worried that the whole thing looked too tall, but I kept staring at it and decided to leave it, glad I did..

DavidF

New User
David
Nice job on both the bowl and toothpick holder, but then I wouldn't expect any different from you. Trying to get all that wood used up before you move I see.

Bob

Yes, Bob and if you don't come up to the house and take some away I am going to keep posting these annoying little projects:rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
Very Beautiful David,

Love the Tooth pic holder alot. And the bowl is very beautiful too.

How was it to turn the holy? I just got a Holly log and made 4 bowl blanks out of it, it's still a little wet probably 23% or more. How dry was yours before you turned it?

Thanks for sharing~!

Not really sure as I don't have a meter, but Roger gave me the log a year ago and I assume it was pretty wet then. It was about a ft dia and 18" long. Bobcat Bob chainsawed it in to 4 quadrants for me and there it sat until last week. Nice to turn though, the cut off the tool was really nice and sanded to a really smooth surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS