soldered blades?

TBoomz

New User
Ron
how well do broken bandsaw blades hold up after being soldered back together? Also, is there a particular type of solder best used to give better flex (as blade travels around wheel)?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Band saw blades are brazed not soldered, different thing. The real answer is how bad was the break and who does the work. A good welder can make things near perfect, but alot of people out there are not that guy ..........:confused:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Not sure what the difference is between brazing and using Silver solder but I've used 45% Silver solder to reconnect the ends of broken band saw blades since the 90's. It's very easy and all you need other than the solder and paste flux is a propane torch, bench grinder to create the scarf joint
and a jig to keep everything in place. NCWW member Bob Vaughn had a video floating around the internet in the late 90s and is where I learned how to do it. You can get the solder and paste on Amazon, Lee Valley, jeweler's and welding suppliers. I've never had a silver soldered joint break.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
As a rule under soldering is roughly defined as metal work under 750-800 deg F

Brazing is above that Typically done around 1650-1700 degrees for silver and 1500-1600 for brass/bronze

But when we silver braze ...we all call it silver solder ..... go figure

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, please explain the scarf joint. Are the ends tapered/ thinned and overlapped?
Yes to everything. I use a scrap of wood with a thin kerf cut at about 15 degrees to hold the blade steady/square and grind a taper about 3/4" long on the back of one side and the front of the other. This allows plenty of surface area for the solder to grab when you overlap them and eliminates a hump. Bob used a grinding cup if my memory is correct which had the sides at a shallow angle. I use a scrap of angle iron with an opening cut out in the middle and spring clamps as a fixture.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Attachments

• 1components.jpg
    1components.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 2grinding block.jpg
    2grinding block.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.4grind scarf.jpg
    3.4grind scarf.jpg