small work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
A couple days ago I made the journey across VA, over the Allegheny mountains to visit with Steviegwood in WV and while I was there admiring his beautiful work he pulled out a puzzle that a friend had sent him. For someone like me who has a hard time following a curved line in 3/4 stock with a bandsaw this was mind boggling:

That is a matchbox with a postage stamp glued to the top and inside was another stamp laminated to wood and cut into a puzzle :swoon:

Talk about having patience and a delicate touch !!! Excuse my shaky picture but you get the idea :wsmile:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I wonder what blade he uses to get a kerf that's insignificant on something that small. Almst seems like you would need to slice it with an Exacto instead of sawing it. How thick/strong was the backing?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
how neat is that-
These old eyes have a hard enough time without the strain that must have caused. Bifocals and magnifyers abound in my world!

Glennbear

Glenn
Pretty cool.

Does he sell them?

pete
From what Steve told me, his friend does not sell them.

I wonder what blade he uses to get a kerf that's insignificant on something that small. Almst seems like you would need to slice it with an Exacto instead of sawing it. How thick/strong was the backing?
Talking yesterday we surmised it has to be a jewler's blade, the backing is <1/8 as I recall

how neat is that-
These old eyes have a hard enough time without the strain that must have caused. Bifocals and magnifyers abound in my world!

Mine too brother, mine too :gar-La;

CarvedTones

Andy
Hmm...

That thin, I am going to guess that he is using Exactos or something similar and tapping through. I wish I could see the second picture better to see if the round ends are shaped consistently the same. I have a set of miniature Exacto blades in a lot of shapes and you can use them like chisels to cut something really thin with no kerf.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Everyone, These are made by a fellow by the name of Carter Johnson. I believe that he uses a jewelers blade to cut these stamp puzzles with a zero clearance blade insert. Steve

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have done some small pieces but this is unbelieiveable. I wish I had the time and talent.

CarvedTones

Andy
Amazing! I wonder if he dubbed his voice in later or if he can really sit and chat while doing stuff that intricate. My favorite part was "Now, I am coming up on a tough piece." Oh, the rest was easy? :jealous: Great video; he explains it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS