Small Wooden Crosses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcoop

New User
David
Where can I find small wooden crosses for inlay work? The size I am looking for is 1 1/8 inches wide,
1 1/2 inches tall and 1/8 inch thick. Thanks in advance for your assistance.:notworthy:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
That's a "small" request. I haven't seen any "ready made" crosses this size.

You didn't say what type of wood, but it would likely have to be a very tight grain hard wood like maple so they would hold together well after they were made. The coarse grain woods will break easily along the grain lines when they are this thin.

Have you considered making them yourself? If I had to do it I would start with a blank that was 1 1/8 high X 1 1/2 inches thick keeping in mind which way I wanted the grain to be oriented. Then use a straight bit in a router table to trim away the 4 corners to form a very thick cross. Then I would slice them to the thickness that I wanted on my table saw or miter saw. You could also lay them out dentil molding fashion and then cut them apart afterwards. It might be better to do the inlay work before separating them to make it easier to clamp them while doing the inlay work.

Charley

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check with Phillip aka PChristy. He is an excellent scroller and can custom make it in no time.

Jim Kunzweiler

New User
Jim
I use to make mine on a router table... they were 5/16" x 1/2" x 1/16". What worked out best for me was to make them so that the cross appeared on the end grain, meaning you were always routing long grain and cutting them to thickness was a crosscut operation. Think of it as an extrusion.
It also helps to make them with a sacrificial piece glued on to use as a handle during routing... super glue works well. I also did not cut the profile the full length, thus leaving something to guide it along a fence. Helps to be able to turn the router off midway treating it as you would a stop cut or dado.

Hope this helps.
Watch your fingers.

Dcoop

New User
David
Charles, Maple is the type of wood I was going to use. Or walnut for the lighter woods to give contrast. I had not thought of the way you suggested. I will give it a try.Thanks for your help.

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Sounds like a great laser project! There are a few of us on here (but I will be out of the running as I am starting work in Wilson on Monday and my laser is in Wilmington...)
Wish I could help!!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
David I tried to cut a few for you today - The red one is Paduk the red one that isbrole is also Paduk - I was afraid that it would break - The yellow one and the one beside it is YellowHeart-I slanted the grain and I cut all of the ends first then cut the long cuts and that worked better - The YH with the paper still on it has a bevel cut of 0.5 degrees - If you try these make sure you put the paper side down into your inlay cut - The last one is 1/4 BW - it is all I had - sorry - I also put a bevel cut on it @ 1.0 degrees - also put the paper side into your cut - I will be sending them as soon as I go and get a bubble wrap envelpoe - Let me know if they work for you and I will see about getting some 1/8 material
Cross_.jpg

View image in gallery

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Two years ago I inlaid several crosses onto/ into "writing boards" as Christmas presents. Others have suggested cherry or walnut, and those were my suggestions as well. When you make your own you can fashion the dimensions and looks as you see fit. The 'micro' work to overlap them at the center is tricky, and you have to trim with either a very sharp chisel or very small plane. But it is gratifying to make your own! :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS