Small shop brainstorming

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
What do you use the air compressor for? If not for spraying or running rotary tools (disc sander, etc), downsize to one of the quiet 2 gal compressors from HF. (Fortress, about $160 but cheaper on sale and with coupon.) They weigh about 40 lbs and store easily under a work bench. They work well for blowing off chips (oil less), and have plenty air for running a brad nailer, staple gun, etc. Put the 20 gal in the garage.

If using for spraying, etc, then move the compressor outside into a small closet enclosure and pipe to inside. A gain in space and reduction in noise.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a shop vac and did not get a DC for this shop until I got the PCS. I used a Ryobi BT3100 table saw before that and it worked OK on a shop vac. Getting the bigger saw also required getting a DC. At least that was my judgement. The shop vac just wouldn't keep the cabinet clean, dust would build up. My shop vac is a Rigid, near the top in terms of motor size but small on dust capacity. It pulls through a dust deputy which gets most of the dust. It also has an after market auto on switch. I still use it for smaller tools, like the track saw, domino, and sanders. My DC is a 2hp HF but I only use the motor and blower which are mounted on the wall in a corner. It also pulls through a cyclone, a super dust deputy. After the cyclone, it exhausts outside, no filters. I have a wooden enclosure below the cyclone that has a capacity of about 70 gallons. This setup is about 18 by 18 inches but nearly 8 feet tall.

Besides the table saw, my DC allowed me to collect the chips given off by the planner and jointer. Before I got it, I wheeled them outside and swept up the chips. It also works better on the router table. But I got along for several years in my current shop with no DC. It is certainly possible.

JCAlton

New User
Cody Alton
I stopped bemoaning my lack of space after watching these videos.
Gotta be some good ideas in there.

Thanks! Got them queued up to watch.

I have a shop vac and did not get a DC for this shop until I got the PCS. I used a Ryobi BT3100 table saw before that and it worked OK on a shop vac. Getting the bigger saw also required getting a DC. At least that was my judgement. The shop vac just wouldn't keep the cabinet clean, dust would build up. My shop vac is a Rigid, near the top in terms of motor size but small on dust capacity. It pulls through a dust deputy which gets most of the dust. It also has an after market auto on switch. I still use it for smaller tools, like the track saw, domino, and sanders. My DC is a 2hp HF but I only use the motor and blower which are mounted on the wall in a corner. It also pulls through a cyclone, a super dust deputy. After the cyclone, it exhausts outside, no filters. I have a wooden enclosure below the cyclone that has a capacity of about 70 gallons. This setup is about 18 by 18 inches but nearly 8 feet tall.

Besides the table saw, my DC allowed me to collect the chips given off by the planner and jointer. Before I got it, I wheeled them outside and swept up the chips. It also works better on the router table. But I got along for several years in my current shop with no DC. It is certainly possible.

I recently upgraded to the ridgid 14gallom nxt with the 6hp motor. It does good but I need to buy fittings for it to fit the most of my tools, the only thing it fits right now is the table saw. Im actually going to 3d print some connectors, just need to get the measurements to print the right ones. I aim to get a proper DC down the road but thats once I have a more permanent setup.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a bosch 5 meter hose on my track saw, domino, and sanders. It fits the first two without adapters and the sanders only need the adapters they came with. It is a very good alternative to the much more expensive Festool hose (the larger diameter Festool hose). I would not want to use a 2.5 inch hose on these tools.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors