Small Finishing Glaot

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Y'all, I stopped in at out local 84 lumber yesterday and they had 5 pints of lemon oil out on a table of discontinued items. When i asked the price and he said .50 a bottle. Well the rest is history, they do not have anymore lemon oil. Just thought to share this. Steve

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Just curious. What do you think "lemon oil" is and what do you use it for? All I know is that real lemon oil is very expensive and used in flavoring foods.

Any furniture related products I have seen called "lemon oil" are generally mineral oil with a little bit of faux or real essence of lemon odorant.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice score Steve. :icon_thum I use a "lemon oil" labeled furniture polish on my light oak furniture in the house and it works well without a buildup. :wsmile:

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Re: Small Finishing Gloat

Hi Y'all, in reference to the statement above, it is just used as a wood conditioner to add moisture to dry wood and it has no wax or silicons so there is no build up. It will enhance the grain of raw dry wood. I just saw some Old English lemon oil furniture treatment that was $6.39 a pint. I figure that even this other brand Gillespie @ $.50 a pint was a good deal. Steve

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard

Let me again make the point that virtually all "Lemon Oil Furniture Polish" is nothing more than mineral oil with a slight amount of artificial lemon odorant. Being mineral oil, it will not dry and always remains somewhat "wet". This wetness attracts and holds dust meaning that it must be periodically reapplied.

For example, Old English Furniture Polish is 100% mineral oil. You can google any supermarket furniture polish material safety data sheet (MSDS) and see the ingredients. You particularly want to avoid any product containing silicone.

The "benefits" of "lemon oil" as a protectorant or restoration material are almost totally marketing not based on technical facts. If you want to use a mineral oil on your furniture you an go to the drug store and buy a jar of mineral spirits in the laxative section. A couple of dollars will get you a lifetime supply.

richlife

New User
Rich

Let me again make the point that virtually all "Lemon Oil Furniture Polish" is nothing more than mineral oil with a slight amount of artificial lemon odorant. Being mineral oil, it will not dry and always remains somewhat "wet". This wetness attracts and holds dust meaning that it must be periodically reapplied.

For example, Old English Furniture Polish is 100% mineral oil. You can google any supermarket furniture polish material safety data sheet (MSDS) and see the ingredients. You particularly want to avoid any product containing silicone.

The "benefits" of "lemon oil" as a protectorant or restoration material are almost totally marketing not based on technical facts. If you want to use a mineral oil on your furniture you an go to the drug store and buy a jar of mineral spirits in the laxative section. A couple of dollars will get you a lifetime supply.

All a ya'll ought to know by now that Howard is invariably right. Verify with Bob Flexner if you really want to question him.

I have a bottle of mineral oil in my shop primarily for use with rubbing in shellac. I tried using to to protect my steel grill, but found that it just constantly smudges (Bar Keepers Friend is the right answer). As Howard said, there may be no build up, but it does heavily attract dust. I personally wouldn't use it on my guitar neck because over time it will lend a smudginess to the surface. Rich

JPio

New User
Jon
The only thing Howard is wrong about is that you don't want to buy 'mineral spirits' in the laxative section.....you want to buy 'mineral oil'. (although different cuts from the same barrel of oil)

The 'laxative' mineral oil by-the-way is the exact same thing that you will pay $12 per small bottle for under the name 'butcher block oil'. It's all USP Grade Mineral Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors