Slow speed grinder

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’m looking to get a slow speed grinder to aid in my chisel/plane blade sharpening. Does a wet grinder just make it less likely to overheat or are there other advantages? Price is a concern and wet grinders are a good bit more costly. What kind of jigs would I need? As always, I appreciate the help.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have this grinder from Grizzly:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-10-Wet-Grinder-Kit-Anniversary-Edition/T10010ANV

I use it for plane irons, mostly. It works great but it can be a bit messy. I got the Tormek water reservoir for it, which is a bit larger and has an extension to keep most of the water from dripping on my workbench.

Here is an old thread I posted about some modifications I made to grinder:
https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...o-my-grizzly-t10010-wet-grinder-update.52876/

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I recently bought a Rikon grinder with CBN wheels. The CBN wheels are said to generate less heat while grinding.

I still keep my thumb on the back of the blade, close to the edge. This allows me to feel the heat and remove the blade from the wheel long before it gets hot enough to soften the steel.

If it turns blue you need new.

This is the jig I use for chisels and plane blades.

bbrown

Bill
User
The Worksharp system is fairly inexpensive. The slow moving disc does not burn edges. I still use water but it's a pretty safe system. I found one used so it a very good buy.
That said, 95% of my edge work takes place with honing wheels and charged horse butt leather strop. It's rare that I ever need a grinding wheel. Can go years with any given chisel or carving tool as long as the honing is frequent.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My setup is similar to Mike's, except I have normal grinding wheels and my tool rest is made by Veritas.

EXKid

New User
Mark
I have that grizzly and cussed it out of service. I have so many design objections to that thing that I decided learning to sharpen by hand was a better way to go.

Why isn’t the leather wheel the same size as the stone wheel?
Why isn’t the tool rest long enough to bridge the two wheels should they be the same size? That way you wouldn’t need to reposition the tool rest on the right side to strop, just move your work over without unscrewing anything.
Why isn’t that chisel jig ambidextrous?
Why do I have to mount it on a turntable or put it on a bench that I can get at from both sides? If you mount the “rear” tool rest holders on the front, yeah, you get wet, but I don’t have rearrange my shop.
Why isn’t there a grizzly alternative for dressing the wheel so it doesn’t wobble? The tormek one costs $100.

And so forth.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I agree, a buddy on mine has the Wen version of this. Pretty much like the Grizzy. To be honest I use a belt sander to flatten and correct big issues in my chisels. Then, I go hand from there. I have found that it takes pretty much the same time to sharpen compared to the water wheel.

I have that grizzly and cussed it out of service. I have so many design objections to that thing that I decided learning to sharpen by hand was a better way to go.

Why isn’t the leather wheel the same size as the stone wheel?
Why isn’t the tool rest long enough to bridge the two wheels should they be the same size? That way you wouldn’t need to reposition the tool rest on the right side to strop, just move your work over without unscrewing anything.
Why isn’t that chisel jig ambidextrous?
Why do I have to mount it on a turntable or put it on a bench that I can get at from both sides? If you mount the “rear” tool rest holders on the front, yeah, you get wet, but I don’t have rearrange my shop.
Why isn’t there a grizzly alternative for dressing the wheel so it doesn’t wobble? The tormek one costs $100.

And so forth.

EXKid

New User
Mark
In my experience it takes less time to do by hand. I use a belt sander as well for the flats. Grinder to re-establish the bevel, both would still be required to use the slow water wheel. And if you’re looking at an old thick 2 3/8” wide iron from a wooden plane, forget it. You’d be there all day and get prune hands.

The DMT XX-course plate is tough to beat.

EXKid

New User
Mark
Also, many of my gripes with the Grizzly would apply to the Tormek as well. Wheels same size, tool bar length, expensive accessories, flip flop operation.... my objections aren’t really Griz specific.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors