Slanted door rail- function or fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
image.jpg So I was at an old house today built around 1910 in Asheville. I noticed this slanted rail on the front door. Curious if anyone knows if this has any structural purpose or just serves to narrow the stile as ot goes up the door?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
My guess would be style rather than function. Although if it's intent was solely to narrow the upper portion of the style, someone went to a lot of trouble to accomplish what could have been done simpler. But that's what a true "Craftsman" might have done.

Len

New User
Len
After rotating the picture to not get a crick in my neck, I'd say it's a combination of style and functionality. By doing the door that way, a larger amount of glass can be used, creating more light in the entry. Or it may be whoever built the door didn't want to cut down glass that was already on hand, so modified the rails and stiles to fit.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
Sorry for the sideways pic. Posted this from my phone and could not figure out how to edit it from there.

algustaf

New User
Al
I second Bill's comment on true "Craftsman". It wasn't necessary yet makes it all more beautiful to those of us who notice these things because we know the extra effort put into one's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS