Skil 10 inch table saw. Good or bad?

JpHess

New User
Pat
Anyone have intel on this saw? Looks really promising.

Attachments

• 7ACCE85A-020A-4263-8D93-FE728A538DE2.png
    7ACCE85A-020A-4263-8D93-FE728A538DE2.png
    1 MB · Views: 160

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
It is a good job site /contractor saw. Bosch, Dewalt, Makita and others all have similar saws. My issue with all of these is the blade micro movement. They all begin to have a micro side drift. For general construction this is perfectly fine, but for real accuracy, just won't give you that level. In the beginning ? yeah they all cut great, 6 months from now, not so much. Just depends on what you need it for. One thing to look at if you can find it is the duty cycle rating of the motor. If you cannot find that, move the blade slowly have it has been used for a couple of minutes. Then, check out how tight the bearings are, if there is play, then the cut accuracy will suffer.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Skill is not one of the brands you can rely on for the long term. They are good starter tools if your on a budget, just learning or have nothing else but you will eventually outgrow it as you grow in woodworking. I have replaced most of the tools I started with as I have evolved with the skill, it is a natural process we all go through.

If you have the space and are willing to spend more, the Delta 36-725 is usually $599 at Lowe's and it is a very high quality starter saw that will last you until you upgrade to something insane like a SawStop. I have one and it does everything I need and more at this point. However, the Skil will get the job done and the Delta may be overkill for you based on what you do or plan to do in the future. That is something only you know.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bradley Craig just posted this on the NCWW Facebook page:

So I'm about a year into this hobby in a serious way, but have been around and experienced in power tools and saws most of my life. I certainly understand the serious risks involved. I have also dealt with risk management in either a technology role or a corporate risk role for close to 30 years professionally.
Yesterday I was working on a custom jig setup on my cross cut sled on my Delta table saw. I had been playing with it, test cutting and refining for about an hour. I had it about dialed in and was making one last adjustment and then it happened ...
Risk management was the last thing on my mind, at the forefront was the jig, the cut, the piece, the objective. Why was the blade adjustment that high? Why was the saw on? All of these of course are an after thought.
As I fiddled with the jig and the piece I lost awareness of that blade and was quickly reminded as I caught my right thumb on the spinning 40 tooth blade.
I got lucky, really lucky. I came away with 4 stitches, and a huge deep kerf in my thumb, but I have a whole thumb. It's also a hard reminder of the risks taken versus the time taken to be extra safe ... easy to say now.
1f612.png

First thing I did when I got home from the completely full and overwhelmed ER was place my order for a new 30" SawStop PCS. Look for a Delta 36-725 10" table saw for sale soon.
Be safe ....

First it is a reminder for everyone not to be complacent!

It might be an opportunity for you @JpHess if you are interested. I see he lives in Charlotte from his FB page...

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not a good choice for a ww'ing shop.

The issues with jobsite saws are accuracy (fence) and power, both of which are critical for ww'ing.

Also, underpowered, small saws like this with inaccurate fences are more dangerous, believe it or not.

JpHess

New User
Pat
so when I first started I bought on the cheap side. I got a ryobi table saw and what I came to find is that this saw doesn’t do anything well except spin the blade. It’s become more table than saw because I’ve found work arounds so that I don’t have to bother with it. So I was hoping that if I went with a better brand I might get better results. I would like to get a bigger stand alone unit but space is at a premium at my current housing on Bragg. I’m also due to possibly PCS this year so I’m looking for something that travels well. I know the accuracy in these units is not perfect but hell anything has to be better than what I have now.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think the Bosch 4100 series table saw is used by many members here. Not sure if the current iteration is as high quality as previous generations. Hopefully some owners will weigh in on these.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors