SketchUp Workshop Online

Best time for Online training

• Total voters

ssmith

New User
Scott
Definitely interested. Sketchup is amazing, but one key thing is hindering me, probably due to lack of knowledge and/or skill. From your pix page, it's pretty obvious you don't have that problem LoL.

ssmith

New User
Scott
What is that?
I can't seem to get text ON faces. Text objects seems to float in 3D space and get hidden as I pan around the object.

Having said that - thanks for asking but I didn't intend to turn the thread into a Q&A session. Hopefully, you'll entertain questions during your training session, if it comes together.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I can't seem to get text ON faces. Text objects seems to float in 3D space and get hidden as I pan around the object.

Having said that - thanks for asking but I didn't intend to turn the thread into a Q&A session. Hopefully, you'll entertain questions during your training session, if it comes together.
I'll reply to this anyway but we can save other questions for the session. Text of the sort you're referring to gets inserted either as a label if you anchor it to some geometry or as "Screen Text" which is anchored to a fix location on the screen. Here's an example. The red text is screen text and the blue is leader text.
Screenshot - 9_28_2022 , 10_03_46 AM.png

If you want to put text on a surface within SketchUpm you can do that with 3D Text. Just set it to not be extruded.
Screenshot - 9_28_2022 , 10_08_03 AM.png

If you have SketchUp Pro and use LayOut, you could add the text in LayOut instead. It would look better and you'd have more control over its appearance.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
I'm interested too. Taught myself a little bit two years ago trying to design a screen porch and remodeling of two bathrooms with changes in floorplan layouts and moving some walls.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I've converted to Fusion 360. It universally works for all my equipment: 3D printer and Shaper Origin. I'd be interested in an online Fusion360 session!

ssmith

New User
Scott
If you want to put text on a surface within SketchUpm you can do that with 3D Text. Just set it to not be extruded.

If you have SketchUp Pro and use LayOut, you could add the text in LayOut instead. It would look better and you'd have more control over its appearance.

Thanks Dave - the 3D text tool works great and solves my problem.

FWIW I'm currently using the free web-based version. I am considering the Pro version (I did the free trial) but it's a bit early in the game for me. I'm still an infrequent, novice user and want to understand Sketchup's pros/cons better before I commit to it or another 3D CAD tool.

Question - in your Flickr library are you rendering most of those models using a 3rd party extension to Sketchup Pro?

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Question - in your Flickr library are you rendering most of those models using a 3rd party extension to Sketchup Pro?
Understood. There's a lot of difference between the free web version and SketchUp Pro.

As for the rendered images, that's a third party program. There are some like Vray which run as an extension in SketchUp. I have Fray but usually use an old stand alone renderer called Kerkythea. I prefer the stand alone renderer because I can set it up to run in the background while I go back into the SketchUp model to work.

As an example, I did this image yesterday as an example for someone. While the render was processing I was able to go back into SketchUp and add the grid and the sketchy edges for the model which was exported and later combined with the render. Not much time invested in it since it was only for a brief tutorial.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS